I Love You, But I'm Not In Love With You

To male best friends around the world.
75

“Seeing you brings an immediate smile to my face and an uplifting spirit in my heart. When you’re gone I miss you like crazy, but when you’re around, which is a good deal of the time, you know just what to do to make me laugh non-stop. People always ask if we’re together, as in couple together, and we always look at each other, laugh, and reply with a sincere, ‘No, we are just good friends.’”

If you have anyone like this in your life, you can relate to what I’m saying and feeling. There is that one boy that is your best friend, go-to guy, shoulder to cry on, and most competitive drinking partner, not to mention you’re with him all the time. Outsiders probably think you’re dating as they watch you both laugh and joke around playfully over who is paying the bill after dinner. They envy your incredible relationship and, little do they know, it’s not a romantic relationship. You are simply best friends.

I hear people say all the time that men and women cant be “just friends.” They always end up hooking up and ruining it, getting jealous of someone they start to date, and/or lose touch with each other due to not having enough in common. Well, you shouldn’t have that much in common to begin with, boys and girls usually lead different lifestyles and that’s the best part about having a male best friend. Guys can give you advice from a male perspective, just what every girl has ever dreamt of. They don’t judge you for eating that 4-pound burger or not wearing a bra out to breakfast when you’re hung over Sunday morning. It goes both ways as well. I have seen, heard, and talked about everything under the sun with my male best friend and have never judged him once. Okay, maybe once or twice, but the same would go for a female best friend as well.

“Your family is my family and your friends become my friends and sometimes, if I’m lucky enough, you will play wingman for me and put in a good word with your friends. It is honestly incredible how much love I have for you. I’ve never loved a boy as strongly, besides my father. No boyfriend, ex, or uncle can even compare.”

Then, the idea comes into my head, “If we are so perfect as friends why not try to be in a relationship? A romantic, sexual, erotic, relationship that doesn’t involve playing wing man or woman? A relationship where we hold hands and give each other goodbye kisses?” The answer is far from simple and is hard to describe in words, but the most accurate way I can put it is, “I love you, but I’m not in love with you.” And that makes a world of difference.