Why I Love The 'Augie Bubble'

Why I Love The 'Augie Bubble'

Even though I fell down the CSL stairs and broke my umbrella..

33
Why I Love The 'Augie Bubble'

Since I was old enough to think about it, I always wanted to get out of the Midwest for college. I couldn't imagine spending yet another 4 years around Iowa or Illinois (where I've lived basically my entire life). For years I was completely sure that Columbia College Chicago was the school of my dreams. I was 14 and telling people that I knew exactly where I wanted to go to college and exactly what I wanted to study (like any 14 year old would actually know that for sure).

Then a few summers later I went to Washington, DC for a journalism camp and stayed on the campus of George Mason in Virginia. Of course, after that trip I was completely convinced that that was actually the school of my dreams and not Columbia. However, after truly realizing that Virginia was a plane ride away and I couldn't come home and do laundry, that "dream school" faded away.

Shortly after that, my AP English class visited Augustana's library and were able to use the databases for a research paper we were working on. During that visit I remember thinking, "Pretty campus... but way too close to home."

A year later and here I am. Almost done with my first year in college, rooming with my best friend since kindergarten, planning a study abroad trip to Africa for two months, and completely in love with Augie.

So you might be wondering, how did you end up 20 minutes away from home when you planned on being 13 hours away from home?

To be completely honest with you... I have no idea. However, it has been the best decision of my life so far.

It doesn't matter that Augie is 20 minutes away from where I went to high school because Augie is it's own community (aka the Augie bubble). It doesn't matter that Augie isn't a big school in DC or Chicago like I had anticipated going to because Augie is just as full of opportunities, if not more.

Augustana not only accepts people's differences but celebrates them. I think that's what spoke to me the most about this small private college. I've always been interested in different cultures and learning about how different countries differ from my own and it's something I hope to learn about for the rest of my life. I wanted a school that would help me explore.

I came to Augie with the dream of someday traveling to Africa for a study abroad program (which Augie gives every student $2,000 to do), and I am now preparing for two months in Ghana and Senegal.

I wanted a school that would appreciate cultures as much as I do and I recently attended International Street Fest, a cultural appreciation event put on by student life here at Augie. The entire dining hall was filled with foods from other countries, followed by a fashion show featuring all of our international students. Not to mention the tables surrounding the fashion show that were set up by students from various countries, sharing their culture with everybody who walked by.

I wanted a school that accepts and respects everybody who enters it and a huge board filled with supportive notes to our International, Muslim, refugee, and DACA students went up a few weeks ago.

I wanted a school that felt like home and I've met people that I can't imagine not having in my life now.

Turns out, after all, I wanted Augie. I just didn't know it yet.

Thank you to the professors that have made classes fun and showed a genuine interest in my well being. Thank you to the faculty that is making my study abroad trip possible and making everybody feel at home as much as possible. Thank you to the friends I've met that inspire me more than anything.

Thank you, Augustana.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F02%2F08%2F6362217358790881392037926974_16667293_10206360897980737_171585328_o.jpg%3Foh%3Dc87d19f65c65ee48f27d75cacb7ce4ca%26oe%3D589E0A4B&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=378&h=16b777f54a58c009937de73cf8b9e8f6cb7ec86fbea2fd82a5f1e6838cd3823e&size=980x&c=856503764 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2017%252F02%252F08%252F6362217358790881392037926974_16667293_10206360897980737_171585328_o.jpg%253Foh%253Dc87d19f65c65ee48f27d75cacb7ce4ca%2526oe%253D589E0A4B%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D378%26h%3D16b777f54a58c009937de73cf8b9e8f6cb7ec86fbea2fd82a5f1e6838cd3823e%26size%3D980x%26c%3D856503764%22%7D" expand=1 original_size="1x1"]