Why I Love Steph Curry

Why I Love Steph Curry

It's about much more than basketball.

219
Why I Love Steph Curry
Wikipedia

I love basketball. I love watching basketball, playing basketball, analyzing basketball. My dream job even involves being a NBA analyst/reporter/broadcaster. Like every fan, I have a favorite player/favorite team that I enjoy to watch and cheer for during the season. My favorite team is the Phoenix Suns (go Devin Booker), but as many of you know, their season ended quite a while ago.

My favorite player? Stephen Curry. I love Steph for his athletic abilities and for the way he portrays himself on and off of the court, but my favorite thing about Curry is the way that he has been able to establish himself and his family as a brand, which is something that very few professional athletes do.

I'll start with the basketball side of Steph. He's accomplished many things and made history - he was voted the first unanimous MVP in NBA history, he shattered the previous record for 3's made in a season by 116, he's the most accurate volume 3-point shooter of all time – the list goes on and on. It's almost impossible to deny that Curry is one of the best (if not the best) pure shooters in NBA history.

Haters will bring up Steph's lack of defense. But before arguing about defense, lets take a look at Steph compared to other hall of fame caliber players. Curry stands short at 6 foot, 3 inches, weighs 190 pounds, has a wingspan of 6-foot, 3 1/2 inches, and has a vertical of only 35.5 inches. These numbers are tiny compared to the measurements of other NBA greats - Larry Bird stands at a towering 6' 9", Magic Johnson weighed 220 lbs, Michael Jordan had a wingspan of 6' 9", and Wilt Chamberlain had a vertical of 48". The odds are stacked against him. Most of his match-ups are more gifted/athletic than he is and ever will be. Despite these setbacks, Curry is seen as one of the most threatening offensive players of all time. His lack of natural athletic ability is replaced by his insane ball handling, his determination/toughness, and his ridiculous range from the three-point line. Curry's physical setbacks aren't the only setbacks that he's faced in his career - Steph also attended Davidson University, a small division I liberal arts school in North Carolina. Most NBA players come from powerhouse schools in conferences such as the Big East conference, the ACC, or the Southeastern conference. Despite attending a smaller school, Curry still found a way to make some noise and he was drafted into the NBA after his junior year.

Despite all of these impressive numbers and statistics, my favorite thing about Steph is the way he carries himself on and off of the court. Steph is the Tim Tebow of the NBA - he's very open about being a Christian and expresses his faith in a variety of ways. Every game, Curry writes bible verses in tiny font on the tip/side of his shoe.

When Steph is given high praise, he often deflects the attention off of himself and gives the glory to God. He understands that his purpose that he has been called to is much bigger than the game of basketball. You can read more about Curry and his faith life here.

Steph has also achieved something very unique that very few athletes have ever achieved - he has been able to establish himself and his family as a brand, and that's what makes him so popular. Everyone knows the Curry's, and whether you love them or hate them, chances are, you're talking about them.

Riley Curry helped the family rise to stardom by taking over Steph's postgame interviews. Riley captured the hearts of America time and time again with her adorable quotes & sick flow (remember when she spit a verse from Big Sean's "Blessings?").

Ayesha Curry is always in the news; she's usually rustling feathers on Twitter by tweeting her unpopular (and often controversial) opinions. These are two of her most famous tweets, but Ayesha lit up Twitter the other night when she claimed that the NBA was rigged.

The family as a whole exploded on social media after gracing the cover of "Parents" magazine, where Ayesha and Steph talked about how they make their marriage work, and about how they met. The couple has been together since high school and the development of their relationship sounds like a Nicholas Sparks movie (you can read more about it here).

So, yes, I do love Steph Curry. But I don't love Steph solely because of his dazzling ball handling or video game-like range from the three-point line. I love Steph because he's unique. He's been able to use his platform to set examples on how to be a good Christian, husband, father, teammate, and man. And hopefully, Steph's platform will continue to expand with more MVP awards and championships. Keep dancing, @StephenCurry30. I'll always be one of your biggest fans.