For Those Who Love Someone Far Away

For Those Who Love Someone Far Away

For everyone going through a long-distance relationship.

11753
For Those Who Love Someone Far Away
Carys Jeffrey

It's no secret that being in a long-distance relationship is hard.

Hard isn't even the word for it — it can be painful being so far away from someone.

You don't get to spend every day together. You don't get to enjoy mundane things like running errands and driving around town. You don't get to walk to class together or meet for lunch or have date nights.

You don't get to do a lot of those things.

Sometimes, you miss important days, like anniversaries, birthdays and holidays. You miss celebrating achievements with them, both big and small.

But it's the small things that you really miss the most sometimes. Like hugs and kisses, holding their hand, walking side by side, watching dumb movies, ordering pizzas, helping each other with homework.

Some days you feel distant like you aren't in sync with each other. You might be busy and miss a phone call, or just stressed and emotionally exhausted. Your schedules just might be opposite each other. You may just have an off day.

Some days you might just want a hug and a kiss, or just someone to sit with or bring you coffee.

Some days you go somewhere new and wish they were there to experience it with you.

Sometimes it's just really hard.

But then there are other days that are so much better. The days you get to plan trips and buy plane tickets. The countdown leading up to a visit and the anticipation of when they'll arrive. The excitement of picking them up at the airport.

The few, short days when you get to be with your person are the best days. The excitement of holding your person's hand on the bus or walking around in the hallways. Making dinner for each other or even getting to go on actual date nights out.

It's a feeling people lucky enough to be in a normal relationship will never understand.

For those who love someone far away, these few days make up for weeks away from each other.

We live an entire month of our relationship in just a few days, trying to pack in as much experience and love as we can.

When those few days come to a close you have to say goodbye and transition back into your normal routine. You have to live the next few weeks alone before you get to see your person again.

Some days are harder than others. Some days get tense and frustrating and others are just a little sad. But when you love someone who lives far away, you get used to that. You learn not to dwell on those sad days, but know that soon enough you'll be reunited with your person once again and pick right back up where you left off.