I Will Love Myself Better In 2016

I Will Love Myself Better In 2016

Why I'm making a different type of resolution this year.

674
I Will Love Myself Better In 2016

Every single year we all set out with a number of resolutions. These resolutions may range from something as simple as going to the gym more to something specific like try at least one new thing every single week. Regardless of the complexity, we all do it — we all set out to do something different on Jan. 1. But, there is also something else that we all do — by Feb. 1, most of us have either forgotten or abandoned the resolutions we were so confident in making. Why?

Most of us abandon our resolutions because we “don’t have time," find them to eventually be unrealistic or get caught up in the rest of our daily lives. What is the best way to combat that? How can we make resolutions that we will actually keep?

I think the best kind of resolutions are the simple ones. I gave up on complex, detailed goals a long time ago — they just didn’t work for me. So this year, my resolution is going to be a bit different. This year my resolution is simple.

I will love myself better in 2016.

I will take care of myself better. I will be nicer to myself. I will do things that make me happy. I will be more forgiving of my own mistakes. I will love myself better.

I saw a quote a while back that read, "If someone asked you to list all of the things that you love, how long before you would say yourself?" How long would it take? So many of us are so focused on loving the people and things around us that we forget to love ourselves. We forget to take care of ourselves. We forget to do nice things for ourselves.

The results of loving yourself better are far-reaching. When you love yourself better, you love everyone around you better as well. If you aren’t happy with yourself, you cannot be happy with anyone else. If you aren’t happy with yourself, you cannot show kindness, love, or gratitude in the way that you should.

So, in 2016 I do not resolve to go to the gym more, but I do resolve to exercise, because it makes ME feel good. I do not resolve to give up carbs, but I do resolve to eat well and share meals with the people I love, because it fulfills ME. I do not resolve to get all A's, but I do resolve to work my hardest in school, because it makes MY future brighter. I resolve to do things that fill me up. I resolve to take care of myself. I resolve to love myself better. I resolve to make 2016 my year.