It's a love/hate relationship with you, Nike+

Because we obviously have to rely on phone apps to keep us motivated

8

Dear Nike+ Running,

Thanks for making the dreaded act of jogging not just bearable but actually place a smile on my face. In just a short period of time, you’ve become a best friend to me. You helped me start a training routine, and reassured me that it’s still training even if it’s only a 5K or a 10-miler or a marathon. You remind me every day to run two, three, four or more miles, or maybe to just rest. You’ve motivated me to clear my head after a long exam, driven me to enjoy the beautiful weather while exploring the great outdoors, encouraged me to work harder and push myself, and even helped me procrastinate that lengthy paper I’ll be up until three a.m. writing.

As much as I want to erase your notifications when you inform me about the length of my next run, I’ve yet to end a run not feeling powerful, refreshed, motivated, and straight-up happy. My mental stability and emotional sanity is all thanks to you. Finishing strong and seeing the iPhone light up with “Your records never stood a chance!” warms my heart and fills my flushed pink face with a smile. Plus we all know what Elle Woods would say, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t…” have time for negativity and disruptions.

But Nike+ Running, could you be a little more accommodating to my personal sanity? Although you help me more than a self-help book, a large cup of coffee, and a candy bar, you have not been very flexible with the typical college girl’s schedule. Sometimes I just simply don’t have time to cross train, or run a 5K when you have it planned for me. Classes, extra curricular activities, and work sometimes have to come first. But ironically, you’ll give me a day to rest when I have no other motivation but the motivation to beat my own records. When will you become flexible for the girl that doesn’t stop? The girl on the go?

This relationship may currently be on the rocks but sometimes you plus the pavement, my sneakers, and the infamous ‘twerk out, werk out’ playlist are all I need to reassure myself that I can accomplish everything I literally set my sights on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I love to hate you, even though you do nothing but goods things for me.

Love always,

Kelsey