Love For The Game Doesn't End When You Stop Playing

I miss it, all of it the practices, team jokes, the car rides to and from games and the coaches that made it all worth it.

16
Google Images

I miss it, all of it, the practices, team jokes, the car rides to and from games and the coaches that made it all worth it.

A few years back I was asked the question of out of the sports I played what was my favorite. I played volleyball, basketball and softball. I loved all these sports and still do, but I think the one I miss playing the most is basketball. The first time I picked up a basketball I was in kindergarten. Basketball has been in my life forever and I knew there would be a time when I would stop playing, but I never thought I’d miss it this much.

There is nothing better than hearing the ball on a hard wood floor or the “swoosh” sound of the net when your shooting free throws. I grew up with basketball all around me, especially after moving to Brooklyn. I cannot tell you how many hours were spent just playing ball out in the front of the house. Whether it was 2 on 2, 3 on 3 or even 1 on 2 there was always a game to be played, and it usually ended with a parent yelling for us to get inside. There are also the countless hours of practices; practices which I was always not a big fan of going to, but learned that it was the process of getting there that I hated not so much the actual practice. During practice what I will always remember most besides the endless laughs and jokes shared is that anytime coach said “okay girls one more time”, the play was most definitely not being run only one more time. Sure practices weren’t always fun, and games especially if there was a big game coming up or we just took a major loss, but we would make the best of it and power through because it’s what we had to do if we wanted to win. I also remember the endless summer games played on the beach that were always competitive. There was never a time I didn’t go home with a new bruise, cut, jammed or broken finger; there was definitely never a dull moment.

Now I’m in college and I shoot around here and there, but it’s not the same. Over winter breaks I go to my sister’s games and it really makes me miss the game even more especially because she plays for the same team I did. I still feel that rush of the game when the score gets really tight and you're no longer sitting on the end on your seat, but you’re standing up and cheering louder than ever. Everyone’s moving fast and you get that ‘we want it more’ vibe and it’s amazing and makes you wish you were back on that court. What makes watching my sister play so great is that I helped her become the player she is today. She learned how to play in my backyard by playing with me, my brother, our cousins and friends. The fact that she enjoys the game just as much as I do makes me proud that I was a part of that.

What makes up for that feeling of loss for the game besides watching my sister play is that I’ve been able to coach. I started out as a volunteer coach when I was in seventh grade, and now I coach my own team during the summer and I absolutely love it. I teach three to five year olds how to play the game and it’s amazing. It’s even better when you get to see them grow up and continue to play it gives you a feeling like ‘wow I was the first coach that kid had, guess I did something right’. I always look forward to coaching and playing pick-up games with my friends and I honestly don’t think my love for the game will ever die, and I pray that when I have kids they’ll find the same love for the game as I have.