You Look Like Your Mother

You Look Like Your Mother

A phrase I grew to understand and love.

71

Since I began to understand words, I can recall hearing, “ You look like your mother ." I never knew how to respond to this phrase because I didn't see how I looked like my mom. We have different smiles, different eyes, different facial features, and we even have different personalities. I just couldn't see it. When I was young I didn't realize how big of a compliment I was actually receiving through this simple phrase.

When I think of my mom, I think of someone who is strong, inspirational and beautiful. My mom is strong because no matter the circumstances, I know my mom will always protect me. Of course, if I am wrong about something my mom will be brave enough to tell me, but I know she will always be the first one to defend me. My mom is strong because even when she cries, she gets right back up and puts a smile on her face. She is one of the reasons why whenever I hit a hard obstacle in life, I dust myself off and get right back up. My mom has gone through some great obstacles and I can't help but wonder how this amazing and strong woman is my mother.

I remember in elementary school I got asked who I admired in life, and my first instinct was to say my mom. I admired her for always being selfless and caring. My mom always puts her family before herself and genuinely cares about other people. Since I can remember, my mom had always encouraged me to care about school, get good grades, and go to college. Although these are important, the most important thing to her was always for me to follow my dreams and to end up doing what I love. Without her support, I wouldn't be one of the first people in my family attending college. I always have her encouraging words in my head when I need a little extra motivation. Even now that I'm older, I never hesitate to go to my mom for help because I know she cares and will listen. She is the best friend that I can confide in when things go wrong or when something amazing happens in my life. Without explicitly telling me, my mom has taught me what it means to be kind, and that's one of the many reasons why I admire her.

My mom has a natural beauty to her, especially when she smiles. Sometimes her laugh is so loud that I can't help but smile when I hear it. Her walk is confident like she's always on a mission. Not only is she beautiful on the outside, but she has a beautiful soul too. She has a great sense of humor, and when I need a good laugh I know she can always put a smile on my face. She speaks in a way that motivates others with just using her words. So when people say to me,“You look like your mother," I'm not left speechless anymore. I look at them, smile, and say thank you. That is the best compliment I could ever receive because mom is a strong, inspirational, and beautiful woman.