To The Other Lonely Student

To The Other Lonely Student

Even in the loneliest of times, God is always there.

8
To The Other Lonely Student
Google Images

Change.

Such a small word with such a huge meaning in my life. Dictionary.com simply defines the word change as “to become different”, but in my mind, the word “change” is defined as…well.. my life.

If I am being honest, change is the one thing that terrifies me more than anything. I have a hard time picking up and moving on when it feels like my world has been completely changed. Lately, change has been coming minute by minute. For Example, one minute I was comfortable in my little bubble at a familiar school, with my familiar friends, and the next minute I was, at an unfamiliar school, having to make friends with the unfamiliar faces around me.

And of course, like misery, change loves company. So along with all of this shifting, a deep feeling of loneliness took root. I felt like nobody understood how big the changes I was going through was. Everywhere I looked, I saw the people who seemed to be thrilled about all of the alterations and about their lives being turned upside down. Everyone was making new friends and there I was, staying to myself. Deep down another friend of change and loneliness - envy - was swelling up inside of me. I didn’t think that it was fair that all of these other people seemed to be having an easy transition and were making so many new friends while I was sitting on the sidelines. And moment by moment, I was getting more and more lonely, and envious.

At my lowest point of this big change in my life, I was listening to music at a picnic table outside Whitfield, when a girl walked up, sat next to me, and started talking. I quickly learned that she was a year older than me, and that she had transferred the year before, just like I did. She asked how I was doing, and I smiled and told her I was kind of struggling, but I was okay. She smiled at me as she stood up and I will never forget what she said next.

“When I first got here last year, I was struggling too. The transition from your sophomore year to junior year of college is extremely difficult and lonely, but like the Bible says: God has a plan for your life. He’s not going to hurt you. He’s only going to help you, and help you grow, even if you feel all alone now. There’s a reason.”

Suddenly, a sense of peace flooded my heart, and I thanked her. After a few more minutes of talking, we went our separate ways, but I didn’t feel quite so lonely anymore. Later that night, I opened up my Bible, and it opened up to my favorite verse - Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the thoughts I think towards you, saith the Lord. Thoughts of peace, not of evil, to give you an expected end.” And I remembered the conversation I had earlier, and my peace grew even more.

Since then, I have found my place here on “The Mountain.” Those unfamiliar places are becoming more familiar, and those unfamiliar faces are now my friends. I am so thankful that God puts the right people in the right places at the right time to remind His children that He hasn’t forgotten them, and that He hasn’t left them all alone. So, if you ever find yourself feeling lonely, or like your world has been flipped upside down, remember that God has a plan greater than you could ever imagine.