Live With Someone Before You Marry Them

It's 2020 — You Should Live With Them BEFORE You Marry Them

Do you really know this person?

205
The CW

Some people frown upon two unwed people living together because it is against their religious beliefs or other traditions.

My argument is: how do you really know that person?

I feel like you don't know who a person is until you live with them. Seeing how this person is day in and day out and how they actually live, is different than when out in public or hanging out at someone else's place.

Before heading to college, I needed to find a roommate to live with on campus. I turned to my best friend since the 5th grade. We knew each other so well, heck, we even grew up together. We decided to live together on campus and have a blast! But did we know everything about one another?

Ehhh, not exactly.

We decided that living together wasn't working out for us. Long story short, we didn't work well living in the dorms. We are still friends to this day, and get along like nothing ever happened.

But something like this makes me think about the future. I would never want to marry someone without having lived with them beforehand. No, it isn't traditional, but it is who I am. I knew my best friend at the time for about seven years when we decided to room together at college. Now applying this friendship situation to a relationship situation... people in a relationship typically don't date for seven years before tying the knot.

My point is, I am not signing a legally binding document if I don't even know who that person is.

While moving isn't particularly easy, divorce is much more cumbersome.

This isn't the case for everyone, please do what suits you best. I just know this is what I want in a future relationship.