Living Under 5 Feet Tall

Living Under 5 Feet Tall

Life isn't all bad being this short

1583
Living Under 5 Feet Tall
9gag

You have probably read many articles and listicles about what it is like to be "the short girl", but there's a huge difference between being "short" and not even being five feet tall — which is exactly what I am. I have never wished to be taller, though I sometimes wish clothes did fit me better. However, I have never really wanted to be taller. There are many highlights and many disadvantages to being under five feet. I'll start with the disadvantages to get them out of them way and leave you on a happy note. Here are seven things that happen when you're shorter than five feet.

1. No one is peeping through the peephole.

I cannot see through my peephole. Which at first is rather hilarious, and when I lived in my dorm it it did not really matter. But now that my apartment is not technically on campus, and anyone can walk up to my door and knock, I have realized how insanely dangerous that could be. I trust people and I feel like walking up 3 flights of stairs would be a large amount of work but still I have to be cautious since anyone could be outside my door!

2. Plot twist I am not 12

So a less depressing disadvantage to being this small is the constant and I literally mean constant ask of how old I am. I mean I am only 20 so I am at the age where I still am proud to say it of course I feel like I will always be proud to say it. But anytime I step off campus I am asked how old I am usually people then respond really?? I thought 12.... then I laugh and they say you'll love it when you're 50. I don't think I will because by that time I will have been asked that question zillions of times. I know they are just joking and I really just live with it and get over it but it still is extremely annoying. Like I understand I am short and usually people are taller than me but I am sorry my face I feel does not look like a 12 year old well that's what my friends say. So if you are reading this and you have asked someone short how old they are perhaps you should stop and realize that short people exist and they can be of any age even at their small height.

3. Dangling feet are not that fun

Some people may find this extremely difficult to believe but actually not being able to touch the ground while sitting is extremely uncomfortable! Your legs are restless and want to be on something firm and solid but instead they are just hanging there, so I usually end up slouched in my chair or sitting criss-cross-applesauce (can we have an actual name for this?). All of those options are also not that great because I feel like when I have a career sitting in my seat in any of those positions would be frowned upon.

4. No I am not your arm rest

To many I must resemble a couch or some chair that has arm rests because there is usually an arm resting on me. I know I am the perfect height for your arm to rest upon but somehow I feel like you're arm is not that tired. Last time I checked you were just standing with your arms hanging down by your side so how tired are they really?

5. The children's section

So on to a few more happy things, there are still plenty of disadvantages not reaching the top shelf, pants are too long but these are rather fixable! I can climb on the counter and I can cuff/tuck my pants. Advantage number one I can buy children's clothing! I usually only do this for the more expensive things, my hiking boots... children's size, my running shoes also children's. I try to get the most mature looking clothes so I don't actually look 12. I do still shop in the junior department and not like petite because I am a classic millennial afraid of adulting! And usually things still fit fine, pants must be cuffed and flowy long sleeves are a no but it really is not that hard to shop as a short person, hemming is not that difficult.

6. If it fits, it ships

I can fit practically anywhere! Airplane seats or bathrooms are no match I can fit in both somewhat comfortably. I have fit in many boxes, that is probably my party trick always makes my friends laugh! I am a master at hide-n-seek! I can easily fit between shower curtains, standing on the edge of the tub not hitting my head on the shower curtain pole! I can fit under beds like its my job and hiding in closets is so simple!

7. Always looking up

This may sound tacky or weird but since I am so short I am always looking up! Although these people may be looking down on my I am always looking up! This is also extremely true about my personality I am extremely optimistic! And since it is rough being so short it is nice to say something like this to people when they ask how it feels or if I wish I could change!

I know there are many more disadvantages and advantages but that's all for now! I love being the height I am there is nothing I can change so why wish for it! It is all I have ever known so I am okay with staying this way!