Living Sustainably In A College Dorm
Campuses

12 Items To Bring To Your Dorm For A Sustainable College Experience

When it comes buying furniture, plastic storage bins/organizers, and electronics, try buying second because it will save you money without compensating for quality.

426
Dorm room in college

College dorms and apartments provide students with a transition into independent living. College life helps people discover their interests and skills and gain experience that will last them a lifetime. It's also a time for students to try living a more sustainable lifestyle.

When it comes buying furniture, plastic storage bins/organizers, and electronics, try buying second-hand because it will save you money without compensating for quality. These items are very durable and can easily be cleaned. Local thrift stores, yard sale groups on Facebook or eBay Local Classifieds are good places to buy second-hand items.

There are also a few small, inexpensive items that will make a big difference when it comes to living more sustainably in college. Even if you aren't interested in green-living, many of the products listed will provide some other benefits, outside of just sustainability.

1. LED desk lamp

LED lights not only use a fraction of the amount of energy as incandescent and CFL lights but also last multiple times longer, up to 50,000 hours. Compared to incandescent lights, LEDs don't have a buzzing sound or product as much heat. Compared to compact fluorescent lights, LEDs don't contain mercury and will emit light at full intensity immediately. LED lamps are also better at directing light is a specific direction so you don't disturb your roommate when you are studying late.

2. Collapsible car cup

Collapsible cups are easier to carry around since they can be compacted into a smaller united once its empty. They replace the need for disposable cups when dispensing drinks. Some collapsible cups are also microwaveable, making them a convenient substitute for paper bowls and hot coffee.

3. Solar-powered charger with battery pack

upload.wikimedia.org

A solar-powered charger is especially helpful when you are outside for long periods of time. On the other hand, the battery pack stores the energy until you need it so that you don't have to be in a bright place to charge your mobile device. With both the solar powered-charger and the battery pack, you pretty much don't have to worry about finding an outlet to charge your phone, tablet, graphing calculator.

Here is a high quality solar charger with battery pack

4. Smart power strip

Some electronics, such as TVs, monitors, speakers, gaming consoles, chargers, and microwaves, will consume electricity when not in use- called vampire draw. While it may be a small amount of energy, ranging from 3-4 watts for a microwave or TV to about 30 watts for a laptop charger or stereo, it can add up quickly when devices stay plugged in for 24 hours a day for an entire semester. A smart power strip will automatically cut off power from a device that is on standby so you don't have to worry about unplugging anything.

5. Reusable water-bottle with built-in filter (and extra filter cartridges)

The number one reason why many people drink from disposable water bottles is that it tastes better than tap water. While water filters and pitchers work well for providing better-tasting water at home, they aren't really feasible when you are on the go. A Reusable water bottle with filter turns water from the tap directly into the water with the quality and taste of bottled water. Many universities and gyms have fill-stations that also provide filtered water, but having a bottle with a built-in filter is even more convenient.

6. Tupperware containers

If you buy a larger sandwich than you can eat or too much take-out, then Tupperware containers will save the extra food from ending up in the trash. Tupperware containers allow you to make or reheat your food in your dorm and take extra food from events. They can also provide an air-tight seal to keep foods dry and crispy.

7. Fold-able shopping bags

Plastic shopping bags are probably one of the biggest threats to wildlife. That average American household will take home over 1,000 of them every year. Fold-able shopping bags not only reduce plastic waste but are also easier to carry than standard reusable shopping bags because they can be folded to smaller than a wallet.

Buy fold-able shopping bags here

8. Sunscreen without oxybenzone or octinoxate

You will likely be spending extended time outside when the weather is warm. Sunscreen is important for avoiding sunburn and skin cancer, but not all sunscreen is created equal. Sunscreen with oxybenzone and/or octinoxate can cause coral bleaching because they block the UV rays that corals need to thrive. It takes a low as one drop per 6.5 Olympic swimming pools of water to cause damage to coral reefs. Even if you aren't anywhere near the ocean, water travels to the oceans through streams and rivers (aka the water cycle). Buy sunscreen that contains zinc oxide or titanium dioxide to avoid harming the world's coral reefs.

9. Portable bamboo cutlery kit

c1.staticflickr.com

Bamboo cutlery is a durable, safe and attractive alternative to disposable forks knives and spoons. They are also heat and odor resistant. Bamboo is a rapidly renewable material since it can grow back in a relatively short period of time.

10. Re-manufactured/recycled printer cartridges (if you are bringing a printer)

Remanufactured cartridges are much cheaper than genuine or OEM cartridges and conserve natural resources. While printer manufacturers may warn against buying remanufactured or non-genuine cartridges saying that they are lower quality etc., it is basically a marketing technique to make you buy their more expensive printer cartridges. Quality is, for the most part, the same because the cartridges are made by dismantling empty ones, replacing wearable parts and refilling it. In some cases, genuine cartridges have been found to contain less ink than remanufactured ones. When you are done with your cartridge you can take it Staples, Best Buy or Office Max for recycling and receive store credit for your next purchase.

11. Notebooks made with recycled materials and newspaper pencils

While using Google Docs or OneNote to take notes is a more environmentally-friendly, some subjects are better learned when taking notes by hand. Classes such as math or economics require creating graphs, which is more time-consuming and cumbersome on a computer. Buying recycled notebooks and newspaper pencils reduces the need to cut more trees for paper and pencils. These products also save water and energy in the production process. Recycling is only effective if the materials can be turned into a new product.

12. Washcloth (for drying hands)

In the United States, about 13 billion pounds of paper towels are used every year, and paper makes up the largest percentage of municipal solid waste. Using a washcloth to dry your hands is a great way to reduce paper towel use. The cloth can be easily washed and air dried as needed and is easy to carry around.