What It's Like Living With An Autoimmune Disorder

It's not all sunshine and rainbows when your body attacks itself.

587
Someecards

The phrase "Autoimmune disease/disorder" probably seems quite unnerving to you. An autoimmune disorder is a disorder in which one's body becomes confused by varying factors and attacks itself. I am writing as someone that has a genetic autoimmune disorder that did not become apparent until over a year ago when I was 19. Here is what it is like living with an Autoimmune Disorder.

1. An Autoimmune disease/disorder is not something you can catch. It's not the plague.

There seems to be the misconception that I can spread my disorder to you by holding your hand or breathing the same air. I cannot. Unless I decided to trade my genetic makeup with yours, you are in no danger of being dealt the same cards I was.

2. My hair may look thinner/fuller. Do not point it out.

Due to the fact that my body already attacks itself, my hair is more susceptible to thinning and falling out. Do not point out the state of my hair. It is a subject that I am hyperaware of and I do not need your opinions of that subject to stress me out. On the flip side, do not point out that my hair looks fuller because I will only be disappointed when it ceases.

3. Most of my days include pain to varying degrees.

For me, I get terrible sharp pains in my abdomen that can be crippling, as a result of eating wheat products. In addition to this, there's the joint pain and swelling, as well as the swollen and bleeding gums. It's a fairly consistent dealing with pain that makes me less sympathetic toward your bruised knee.

4. Flare-ups happen and they knock you down.

Flare-ups can be brought on by just about anything (stress, diet, etc), and as a result, you do not always know when to expect them. This means that sometimes getting out of bed for classes is near impossible because of the pain or other symptoms of a flare-up.

5. There is a good deal of resentment for your immune system present.

In the beginning there was a lot of resentment toward my immune system because it would attack me for something as simple as a sandwich. There's still a lot of resentment.

6. Some of us are on specialized diets that are generally unpleasant.

Being Gluten Free is terrible. Do you know how often I've heard "It's not that bad" from non-Gluten Free people? Alright, how about you attempt to avoid gluten completely and eat the specifically gluten free food that is made. I can only take so much of the corn aftertaste present in all gluten free food. It gets old real fast.

7. Attacking our own bodies takes a lot out of us.

It isn't easy having your immune system attack itself and sometimes that just leaves you dead tired. I apologize if it is 10:30 p.m. at a party and I already look like I am nodding off. You would be, too, if you were me.

8. Kindly remove yourself from our presence with your germs.

Cold and flu season is always the scariest for me. I have always been generally afraid of my friends when I have seen them coughing in the past. However, it became even scarier for me after I found out my immune system attacked itself. Having an autoimmune disorder means that being around you while you're sick with a minor cold can put me out of commission for a while.

9. I've got a lot of pills and prescriptions but I can't remember what they all are for.

I have gotten so many prescriptions from hospital visits over the past year and a half that I can't always remember what they are specifically for. It's at the point now where it is not uncommon for me to have to Google the name of the pill to try to find the correct one I am supposed to take.

I hope the next time someone tells you they have an autoimmune disorder you can take what I've shared with you, and maybe have a peek into what it is to live with their disorder, and as a result be more understanding of their situation.