Why It's OK To Still Be Living At Home In Your Twenties

It can be a smart choice and save you money.

24
Daily Cal

I used to be embarrassed to admit that I am 21-years-old and am still living at home. All my friends are living on their own, either in dorms or apartments, being "adults." While I still felt like a kid stuck at home with my parents instead of experiencing the sweet taste of freedom, I was jealous of everyone and felt that I was missing out. I wanted to experience what it was like to be an "adult" too. I wanted to invite my friends over to my place without my family bothering us. I wanted to be able to come and go from my place as I pleased without worrying about waking up my family or having them worry when I came home late.

But you know what? I've realized that moving out and getting my own place is not what makes someone an adult and that it's okay to still be living at home in your twenties. Especially if you're trying to get through college. College is already expensive enough and living at home has allowed me to save a ton of money. While working two jobs, I've been able to pay for college each semester instead of having to take out a loan. Now I won't have to worry about paying off a huge chunk of debt later on in my life. I wouldn't be able to do that if I had to pay rent each month.

I also save a lot of money on food. I don't have to worry about buying groceries every week that could cost hundreds of dollars. A lot of times I make a lunch from foods I find around my house. Also, my family takes turns making dinner, so when I'm busy with homework it's nice to come home to dinner already made instead of trying to find time to cook for myself every night.

Also I don't have to pay many bills. I do have a car bill I pay for, which I wouldn't be able to afford along with rent. However, a lot of bills, such as my phone bill and cable is payed for by my family since I am still on the family plan. They'll keep me on their plan until I graduate and move out.

I may not feel like I have the independence that my friends have, but I have something even better. I'm making a smart decision by living at home until I graduate. I am saving as much money as I can, so that I'll be able to live comfortably when I do get a job and move out.

As long as you're not a bum sitting on your parents couch with no job and you're trying to do something with your life, such as getting a college degree, then it's okay to still be living at home with your parents. Don't feel embarrassed or think that people are judging you. It's actually a smart move for people in their twenties to make.