How Can We Live In A Nation Where...

How Can We Live In A Nation Where...

The results of the election left me with an unanswered question.

11
How Can We Live In A Nation Where...

I have one question. It is a simple yet complex question. A question to which several fellow Americans have recently been asking others for their own opinion on it as well. It is a non-political question that comes from seeing the current results of the most recent presidential election. Now, I figure several of you who are reading this article might be thinking, why did she choose to write an article about just one question? Why not just ask the question and be done with it? Especially since she's just taking time up in her life to write an article about an election whose result has already been finalized for almost two weeks. Well, to answer those hypothetical questions, I wrote this article not to waste your time, or to "criticize" the presidential elect that recently won or to even "spew out media points". Rather, I want this article to reflect upon my genuine question and the context behind it that took me to come up with this question.

To set the context for my question, this was my first presidential election in which I was eligible to vote. Growing up I have been exposed to various political views so it was only natural that I wanted to look at multiple political perspectives. Therefore, I watched each of the three presidential debates. I listened to conservative talk show radio shows and I read several liberal and conservative written news articles about each of the candidates. But let's be real here. There is no such thing as a source that produces unbiased facts within the media. No matter where one looks, there will always be a political perspective or information that is not shared. So even from doing my basic research on the presidential candidates, in the end, I still had a few questions about why each of the presidential candidates even made it this far and how their past actions would impact our country's future if they became the president. These uncertainties I had were mainly due to learning about the scandals and the unjust comments the candidates had made. But when it comes to politics, politicians, in general, tend to have a history of scandals and unjust comments.

So, just as all the other American citizens had the choice to cast their ballot and vote on that Tuesday of November 8, I believed that was the right personal choice for me to do too. Although at night, while I was watching the election results coming in live on the television, I was shocked about the results I was seeing. This was because this newly elected president was voted in by the electoral votes but he had lost the popular vote. Several days following these results, I have heard the common explanation for why these results occurred as "It was the people who voted for him and that is just another example of our democracy in action."

Well, I am sorry to burst anybody's bubble who believes in that answer, because that is actually a common yet misinformed assumption. If our nation was a democracy Hillary Clinton would have been the new president due to her having won the popular vote. A vote which was influenced directly by the choices of the people's votes. However, the USA is a republic and our president and vice president are elected by a group of government electors. Therefore this where my question finally comes in: How can this country be called the United States of America when the president-elect, who will be elected by the electoral college, has said statements that were misogynistic, homophobic, Islamophobic, xenophobic and racist?

As stated before I know each of us all had a right to choose who to vote for or even to go out and vote. But how could the electoral system grant our nation with a president-elect who has made many unjust comments towards the majority of the nation's demographic groups? Especially while the popular vote went towards a presidential candidate who had a goal to unite ALL Americans and not just a few. No matter what future results come from this election's outcome I just hope all Americans can live in a nation where we can be united as people and embrace those who come from diverse backgrounds. I hope our nation does not become further divided by those labels which were placed upon our nation's people by the new president-elect. Overall, my goal is that through my observations expressed within this article they can eventually be used to open up a multi-political-stance discussion — which I believe many Americans are still too uncomfortable to confront. Hopefully, a discussion about why there are people protesting about this presidential election's outcome and the effects that it has had upon the changing population of American demographics will give me and several others who ask for an answer to this simple yet complex question.