5 Things That Go A LONG Way In A Long-Distance Relationships

5 Little Things That Go A LONG Way When You're In A Long-Distance Relationship

It's not just about making it work, it's about making it worth the work!

2038

Being far away from your significant other is always hard. I do not think anyone necessarily wants to do long-distance, it is something some couples just have to face. But, when you find someone you truly care for and a connection you do not want to let go of, it becomes a challenge you're ready to take on.

I have found long-distance to be something that is a lot of work and takes a lot of time and energy to care for but, it has been worth every second. Here are some of the things we do to keep the spark alive and make long-distance easier to handle!

1. Always say "good morning" and "good night." 

Something I really find to be important is the idea of never going to bed or waking up angry or upset. We really focus on our communication and if there is anything that bothers either of us, it is squashed before we go to sleep that night. Because we are also a new couple, we have not had much to disagree about but we always make sure we say these things to each other. Being far away from one another is hard enough, but what will ruin your relationship is when you are finding yourself waking up frustrated with the one person who is supposed to be in your corner.

2. Make consistent FaceTime calls.

There is only so far texting can go. My boyfriend hated Facetime before we started dating and told him quickly that that is going to have to change. And it did. We try and Facetime for at least a little while every day. Just to see each other's faces or to tell each other a funny story. Those are the best because it makes the distance between us seem a lot shorter.

3. Visit each other regularly. 

These are soooo important. My boyfriend's first visit was everything we wanted and more. And my visit home was just as amazing. Now, we have started a list of things to do for the next visits we make. When your significant other visits you, it is your time to finally have them with you. To bring them into your world and show them what your day to day not sounds like, but actually looks like. Plus, I mean who does not love actually getting to hug their partner? Only so much comfort you can give each other through a phone.

4. Talk about the future. 

This is probably my favorite thing. And by this, I do not mean start thinking about house, marriage, babies and having your whole lives together planned out. Not by any means. I mean talking about future things to look forward to. Little things, little trips you want to take together, places you want to go. There is nothing wrong with having a bucket list with your partner and talking about/planning those things. I find that thinking about those things bring some excitement to the relationship and give you something to look forward to.

5. Be honest with yourself.

I am not saying that these things will make your relationship work. Being honest with yourself and how you feel is the most important thing. I really hope these help with how to keep some passion and communication in your relationship. However, these are not going to work in a relationships that do not have complete and total honesty. Both parties remaining honest throughout the whole long distance journey is what ultimately what keeps the relationship alive and what will decide if it will work or not.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.