A List Of Books That Reside On My Desk

A List Of Books That Reside On My Desk

Including the summaries of each of those books.

21
A List Of Books That Reside On My Desk
Regen Stahl

I like to read and I know a lot of other people across the world enjoy reading, so I thought, "Hey, I'll just make a quick list of all of the books stacked up on the corner of my desk. Why not?" (I've marked my favorites by adding an asterisk(*) before the title.)

Alrighty. *Rubs hands together* *Cracks knuckles* *Jumps around to get blood pumping or whatever* Here we go!

"Heart of Darkness and Selected Short Fiction" by Joseph Conrad

Although Polish by birth, Joseph Conrad (1857–1924) is regarded as one of the greatest writers in English, and "Heart of Darkness," first published in 1902, is considered by many his "most famous, finest, and most enigmatic story." —Encyclopaedia Britannica. The tale concerns the journey of the narrator (Marlow) up the Congo River on behalf of a Belgian trading company. Far upriver, he encounters the mysterious Kurtz, an ivory trader who exercises an almost godlike sway over the inhabitants of the region. Both repelled and fascinated by the man, Marlow is brought face to face with the corruption and despair that Conrad saw at the heart of human existence.
In its combination of narrative and symbolic power, masterly character study and acute psychological penetration, "Heart of Darkness" ranks as a landmark of modern fiction. It is a book no serious student of literature can afford to miss. (Link to description)

"Selected Poems"by Robert Frost

In his poetry, Robert Frost made plainspoken men and women eloquent philosophers on the human condition. "Robert Frost: Selected Poems" is a unique collection of more than 100 poems by this well known 20th-century American poet. It includes the full contents of his first three volumes of poetry-- "A Boy's Will," "North of Boston," and "Mountain Interval"--and such beloved poems as "Mending Wall," "The Road Not Taken," and "The Death of the Hired Man." This selection also includes dozens of early poems not collected in those three classic books.This beautifully designed volume will be a treasured addition to any home library. (Link to description)

*"Flowers for Algernon"by Daniel Keyes

Oscar-winning film "Charly" starring Cliff Robertson and Claire Bloom-- a mentally challenged man receives an operation that turns him into a genius... and introduces him to heartache. (Link to description)

"The Paris Wife"by Paula McLain

Chicago, 1920: Hadley Richardson is a quiet 28-year-old who has all but given up on love and happiness—until she meets Ernest Hemingway. Following a whirlwind courtship and wedding, the pair set sail for Paris, where they become the golden couple in a lively and volatile group—the fabled “Lost Generation”—that includes Gertrude Stein, Ezra Pound, and F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Though deeply in love, the Hemingways are ill-prepared for the hard-drinking, fast-living, and free-loving life of Jazz Age Paris. As Ernest struggles to find the voice that will earn him a place in history and pours himself into the novel that will become "The Sun Also Rises," Hadley strives to hold on to her sense of self as her roles as wife, friend, and muse become more challenging. Eventually they find themselves facing the ultimate crisis of their marriage—a deception that will lead to the unraveling of everything they’ve fought so hard for.

A heartbreaking portrayal of love and torn loyalty, "The Paris Wife" is all the more poignant because we know that, in the end, Hemingway wrote that he would rather have died than fallen in love with anyone but Hadley. (Link to description)

"642 Tiny Things to Write About" by The San Fransisco Writers' Grotto

The next installment in the bestselling series presents 642 writing prompts in an irresistible new format. Delightful and thought-provoking, this book is perfect for stumped writers, journalers, or any creative type needing a tiny flash of inspiration. (Link to description)

"The Importance of Being Earnest and Four Other Plays" by Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde's legendary wit dazzles in "The Importance of Being Earnest," one of the greatest and most popular works of drama to emerge from Victorian England. A lighthearted satire of the absurdity of all forms and conventions, this comic masterpiece features an unforgettable cast of characters who, as critic Max Beerbohm observed, “speak a kind of beautiful nonsense—the language of high comedy, twisted into fantasy.”

This collection also includes Oscar Wilde’s most famous comedies, "Lady Windermere’s Fan," "A Woman of No Importance," and "An Ideal Husband," as well as his poetic tragedy "Salomé"—all written between 1891 and 1895, Wilde’s most creative period. George Bernard Shaw said of Oscar Wilde that he is “our most thorough playwright. He plays with everything: with wit, with philosophy, with drama, with actors and audience, with the whole theater.” (Link to description)

"The Stranger" by Albert Camus

Through the story of an ordinary man unwittingly drawn into a senseless murder on an Algerian beach, Camus explored what he termed "the nakedness of man faced with the absurd." First published in 1946, now in a new translation by Matthew Ward. (Link to description)

"To My Daughter" by Marci

Nationally recognized author-illustrator Marci captures the pure joy of having a daughter in this inspiring collection that will touch the hearts of parents and daughters everywhere. In it, she writes of pride, happiness, and blessings that daughters bring to life. She shares her personal philosophy that love is the reason that brings us all together, as well as her dreams, hopes, and wishes for all the daughters of the world. These are words that every daughter should carry with her on her journey through life. The warm expressions of love and gratitude are complemented by Marci's delightful Children of the Inner Light characters, which represent the joyous essence of every human being. This book is a celebration of the understanding, the everlasting bond, and the universal love and gratitude that every parent feels for their daughter. (Link to description)

"The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton

At the heart of the story are three people whose entangled lives are deeply affected by the tyrannical and rigid requirements of high society. Newland Archer, a restrained young attorney, is engaged to the lovely May Welland but falls in love with May's beautiful and unconventional cousin, Countess Ellen Olenska. Despite his fear of a dull marriage to May, Archer goes through with the ceremony — persuaded by his own sense of honor, family, and societal pressures. He continues to see Ellen after the marriage, but his dreams of living a passionate life ultimately cease.
The novel's lucid and penetrating prose style, vivid characterization, and its rendering of the social history of an era have long made it a favorite with readers and critics alike. (Link to description)

"Schizo" by Nic Sheff

Miles’s little brother Teddy is missing. The police believe he drowned at the beach—the very same day Miles had his first schizophrenic episode. But Miles knows better—Teddy is alive. Kidnapped. There was even a witness! Fueled by guilt, Miles sets off to rescue Teddy.

There is so much to overcome, though. The endless pills he must take. The girl who steals his heart and plays with it. The black crows that follow him.

As seen through Miles’s distorted perception, his world closes around him as he pushes to keep it open. What you think you know about his world is actually a blur of gray, though, and the sharp focus of reality proves startling. (Link to description)

"I Wrote This for You" by pleasefindthis

"I need you to understand something. I wrote this for you. I wrote this for you and only you. Everyone else who reads it, doesn't get it."

Started 2007, "I Wrote This for You" is an acclaimed exploration of hauntingly beautiful words, photography, and emotion that's unique to each person that reads it. This book gathers together nearly 200 of the most beautiful entries into four distinct chapters: Sun, Moon, Stars, Rain. Together with several new and exclusive entries that don't appear anywhere else, each chapter of "I Wrote This for You" focuses on a different facet of life, love, loss, beginnings, and endings. (Link to description)

*"The Language of Flowers" by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

The Victorian language of flowers was used to convey romantic expressions: honeysuckle for devotion, asters for patience, and red roses for love. But for Victoria Jones, it’s been more useful in communicating mistrust and solitude. After a childhood spent in the foster care system, she is unable to get close to anybody, and her only connection to the world is through flowers and their meanings. Now 18 and emancipated from the system with nowhere to go, Victoria realizes she has a gift for helping others through the flowers she chooses for them. But an unexpected encounter with a mysterious stranger has her questioning what’s been missing in her life. And when she’s forced to confront a painful secret from her past, she must decide whether it’s worth risking everything for a second chance at happiness. (Link to description)

"Essential Tales and Poems" by Edgar Allen Poe

Creator of the modern detective story, innovative architect of the horror genre, and a poet of extraordinary musicality, Edgar Allan Poe remains one of America’s most popular and influential writers. His tales and poems brim with psychological depth, almost painful intensity, and unexpected—and surprisingly modern—flashes of dark humor and irony.

This anthology offers an exceptionally generous selection of Poe’s short stories. It includes his famed masterpieces, such as "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" and "The Purloined Letter," featuring Poe’s great detective, Dupin; his insightful studies of madness "The Black Cat" and "The Tell-Tale Heart"; "The Gold-Bug," his delightful exercise in "code-breaking"; and important but lesser-known tales, such as "Bon-Bon," "The Assignation," and "King Pest." Also included are some of Poe’s most beloved poems, haunting lyrics of love and loss, such as "Annabel Lee," nightmare phantasmagories such as "The Raven," and his grand experiment in translating sound into words, "The Bells." (Link to description)

*"The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde

In this celebrated work, his only novel, Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late 19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. (Link to description)

*"Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why.

Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and as he follows Hannah’s recorded words throughout his town, what he discovers changes his life forever. (Link to description)

Happy reading!