Books Based On Taylor Swift Albums: 10 Delightful Pairings

10 Books You Should Read Based On Taylor Swift Albums

“The cool thing about reading is that when you read a short story or you read something that takes your mind and expands where your thoughts can go, that's powerful.” — Taylor Swift

55241
Taylor Swift performs various albums in concert
Chieftain Press

Taylor possesses an enchanting way of crafting songs that deeply connect with a broad audience. A significant aspect of this universality stems from her innate ability to seamlessly thread narratives into her lyrics, demonstrating that her music encapsulates not just fragments of scenes, but entire stories.

However, given that Taylor Swift hasn’t actually penned a novel corresponding to each of her songs, there are many books that can relate to her albums. Here are books that you should read based on your favorite Taylor album!

1. ‘Taylor Swift’: Heartstopper by Alice Oseman

This sweet coming-of-age graphic novel explores first love, finding oneself and adolescence, making it the perfect match for Taylor Swift’s self-titled debut album. An endearing and delightful tale of growing up that delves into the realms of friendship, romance, and self-discovery. The reserved and tender-hearted Charlie Spring finds himself seated beside Nick Nelson one fateful morning in class. Their connection blossoms into a close and personal bond, gradually evolving into deeper feelings for Charlie, despite his belief that the odds are stacked against him.

Taylor Swift first album cover

2. ‘Fearless (Taylor’s Version)’: The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

If you’re a fan of Jenny Han, then you likely recognize Amazon Prime’s release from last summerThe Summer I Turned Pretty television adaptation. The ideal musical companion to the series is Swift's rendition of ‘Fearless (Taylor's Version).’ This choice is particularly fitting because the concluding episode features ‘The Way I Loved You.’ The show encapsulates a delicate tale of growing up, where initial romances, heartaches, and summer loves intertwine. The main character is Belly Conklin, a 15-year-old who spends each summer at Cousins Beach with her brother, mother, her mother’s closest friend, and her two sons, forming a love triangle reminiscent of the energy in ‘You Belong With Me.’ However, this particular summer diverges from the norm. As Belly blossoms into a more mature teen, she grapples with first attractions, inaugural kisses, heartbreak, sorrow, and the process of defining her own identity. A single melody encapsulates the essence of Belly and Conrad — ‘The Way I Loved You,’ which is a feature in the adaptation!

3. ‘Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)’: Emma by Jane Austen

Speak Now Taylor Swift album coverhttps://www.instagram.com/p/BWjaHf4AAHb/?tagged=sp...

Emma is the fourth literary work penned by Jane Austen, and it saw publication in 1815 across three volumes. The narrative unfolds in Highbury, England during the early 19th century. At its core, the novel revolves around Emma Woodhouse, an astute and youthful lady who, due to her misguided assurance in her prowess as a matchmaker, becomes the catalyst for numerous romantic escapades. Without a doubt, during these events, Emma's demeanor resonated with the spirit that she was in her “Speak Now” era.

4. ‘Red (Taylor’s Version)’: The Secret History by Donna Tartt

‘Red (Taylor’s Version)’ fans, take note. Like the album, Donna Tartt’s The Secret History has wistful, autumnal vibes. Both are perfect choices for crisp weather, cozy flannel, crunchy colorful leaves, and a cup of tea. Published in 1992, ‘The Secret History’ presents a captivating narrative revolving around a cohort of Classics scholars in a New England university, entangled in the tragic demise of one of their own peers. Delving into the intricate bonds that bind these companions, the book delves into the profound repercussions of this event on the trajectory of their lives.

5. ‘1989’: One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston

Tracing the journey of August, a 23-year-old cynic who identifies as bisexual, this love story unfolds as she relocates to New York City, driven by the desire for a new beginning. Along the way, she finds herself forming connections, both in terms of friendships and romantic entanglements. Swift's '1989' witnessed her pivot into the pop genre, effectively encapsulating the excitement of embarking on a fresh chapter in the bustling backdrop of NYC. '1989 (Taylor’s Version)’ out October 27th!

1989 Taylor Swift album coverhttps://www.instagram.com/p/BD_GmSjnmAZ/?tagged=19...

6. ‘Reputation’: Like it Never Happened by Emily Adrian

Like it Never Happened is written by a Canadian author, Emily Adrain. The narrative revolves around a young woman burdened by an unfavorable reputation stemming from the proliferation of damaging rumors. The protagonist, Rebecca, captures admiration, and her resilience stands out as a noteworthy catalyst for her personal evolution. This story seamlessly aligns with the themes found in ‘End Game.’

7. ‘Lover’: The Summer of Broken Rules by K.L. Walther

A collection that commemorates the diverse, intricate facets of love warrants a similarly evocative companionship in the realm of romantic literature. Devotees of Taylor Swift's Lover era are bound to find immense delight in The Summer of Broken Rules, written by K.L. Walther. This narrative is poised to ignite a sense of joy, given its inspiration from the melodies of Taylor Swift's compositions. Prepare yourself to uncover and highlight the multitude of allusions woven throughout. Swift's ‘Lover’ album serves as a poignant reminder that authentic love possesses a subdued yet fortifying tenderness at its core, and witnessing these characters encapsulate that sentiment in their interactions is undeniably enchanting.

8. ‘folklore’: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Much like Little Women, ‘folklore’ tells beautiful stories through Swift’s poetic lyrics. Little Women narrates the journey of four sisters as they navigate the path to maturity, discover romantic affection, and carve out their niches in society. A track from ‘folklore,’ ‘this is me trying,’ is a great example of character Amy March, trying her best to live up to her potential.

9. ‘evermore’: Normal People by Sally Rooney

Evermore brims with longing and retrospection of bygone relationships, making Connell and Marianne's tale a perfect complement. Unfolding in a quaint Irish village, the magnetic pull between the two takes root during high school and flourishes at Trinity College in Dublin — an institution they both opt to attend. Yet, uniting for a blissful journey isn’t a simple feat, given the tenacity of their individual spirits. Connell and Marianne remain in the midst of self-discovery, shaping themselves into their envisioned personas. Nevertheless, the currents of fate repeatedly nudge them back into each other's orbits. If this novel doesn’t encapsulate the very essence of ‘happiness,’ I’m uncertain what could.

10. ‘Midnights’: The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

‘Midnights’ comprises a compilation of instances and recollections that held Taylor captive during nocturnal hours. Haig's awe-inspiring and introspective book seamlessly resonates with comparable motifs of contemplation and marvel. The contemplation of the road not taken finds its place within the narrative — what might have transpired had different life choices been made? As Nora Seed chances upon an enigmatic library housing books that unravel precisely that question the tapestry of her existence, unfolds in various potential threads. This discovery doesn’t merely initiate a quest of self-revelation, but also leads her towards a profound comprehension of life's purpose and significance.