5 Essential Life Skills I Taught Myself In College

So many life skills are overlooked in schools and we are taught many things that are going to be far from useful in our lives. It is time for us to learn actual life skills, not simply what the school board deems to be our "basic curriculum."

331

High school is supposed to be when you begin to learn responsibility and is supposed to set you up for college.

However, there are essential life skills that an incoming college student should be previously exposed to in their high school classes as well as at home.

1. Money management.

Money management has got to be one of the most essential skills to learn because once you fall downhill with your money, it is a slippery slope, to say the least.

Before arriving at college, students should be taught the necessary money management skills, especially for students who have student loans and other forms of financial aid, which most students do to some extent.

While some of us are blessed enough to have families that help by providing for us, most students are on their own for the most part. If not taught these ways of conserving their money (budgeting), we are setting them up for failure.

2. Laundry.

Although it seems sort of silly to imagine but learning how to do laundry is something I have seen far too many college students not knowing how to do.

Even those who have learned minimally from their parents at home, do any of us really know what temperature the water should go with lights? darks? How about delicates?

Most college students take their laundry basket, dump as much laundry as they can fit in the washer, throw in a Tide pod, press start and go on with their day.

But that is how we end up with pink clothes and clothes that are suddenly too small for us because it should not have been in the dryer.

3. Basic cooking/shopping. 

Unless the idea of living off of Top Ramen, pizza rolls, and fast food sounds appealing, it is important that we know how to shop for nutritious foods and cook.

If you think "the freshman 15" is bad, it will just get worse from there if we aren't taught how to properly grocery shop for a mixture of different foods that all serve different nutritional benefits.

Starting with simply creating a grocery list to how to construct different meals, having this taught early will increase our success when it comes time to live in our own apartments without our parents there to make us meals.

4. Basic cleaning.

The amount of college students who go with the "shove" method is astonishing. The "shove" method is when their room is a mess and their solution to that problem is to simply shove all of their things under their bed or in their closet and claim their room to be clean.

Yet again, our parents are no longer there to clean up our messes (both literal and hypothetical ones, haha).

Starting to learn basic cleaning skills like sweeping, mopping, or dusting would go a long way for the maturity of the student as well as providing them a clean studying environment.

5. Professionalism.

This one is major. College is the closest thing we get to what the real world really is. This is when we start being adults and learn how to function completely on our own.

Professionalism is crucial to the success of a functioning adult in the real world. Isn't that what everyone wants to be?

Professionalism isn't simply being respectful, it's about how you present yourself in an interview, the language you use, the manner in which you adjust to different kinds of people, and the ability to work well with others.

That doesn't happen overnight, that takes a lot of practice and thought for the student. If we truly want our students to leave high school and be successful, we need to actually provide them with the tools/lessons in order to do so.