Life Is Disappointing

Life Is Disappointing

Stop trying to find happiness in life's next steps.

427
Life Is Disappointing
stocksnap

Confession: college disappointed me. It didn’t disappoint me because I don’t like the college I’m at (in fact I really love the college I’m at). It didn’t disappoint me because I didn’t make good friends (I made great friends, who I love). It didn’t disappoint me because I don’t like the major I chose (I would never change my major from Worship Arts and Music Business). So why am I disappointed? Because college didn’t fill the void in my heart that I hoped it would fill.

I have a gaping hole in my heart that I’ve tried to fill for a long time. I think most people would say the same thing. Nearly every one of us go through life trying to find satisfaction. Some people look towards success to fill this void. Others try to fill it with constantly having a boyfriend or girlfriend. And others fill it with drugs and alcohol that leave them feeling satisfied, until it wears off and they need to do it all over again.

I fill my void with the future. I know it sounds odd, but I fill this void with hope for the future. Now, hear me out on this, hope in the future IS NOT A BAD THING. In fact, hope in the future is biblical. God goes before us and prepares a way for us, and for that reason we should be hopeful. However, we become so focused on the future, we miss out on what’s happening right now. We look at our lives in the present and get discouraged by the void we feel. So we look to the future and think, “Once I get to high school I’ll be happy”, “Once I get married I’ll be happy” “Once I get a job I’ll be happy” or “Once I get to college, then I’ll be happy”. If you’re at a place in your life where you’re feeling empty and are waiting for “the next thing” to be happy, let me tell you something. That “thing” will not make you happy. I don’t care what that “thing” is. Once you get it, you’ll still feel empty, and you will still have a huge void in your heart. I know, because I’ve experienced this. Many times. When I was in middle school, I wanted to go to high school. When I got to high school, it didn’t satisfy, so I wanted to go to college. And now I’m here, and I still can’t help but look at my life and feel discontent. But I think I have figured out why.

If I base my happiness and satisfaction on this world, I will always be disappointed. Because this world will ALWAYS fail me. People will leave, opportunities will fall through, and I will fail. These are facts. If I base my life, on these facts, it’s pretty obvious why I feel such a void. However, there is a truth that I’m ignoring. And that’s this. God satisfies, and He has never failed. Not once. I’m learning that if I place my satisfaction in Him, I will never be disappointed. I will never look at my life and feel like blessings run dry. Instead, my cup will overflow with His blessings. Isaiah 58:11 says, “And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.”

Are you in a season of disappointment? Do you have a void you can’t fill? Are you searching for satisfaction? I was. But I’m learning to place my life in the hands of a God who will never disappoint.