The Life Of A Band Director's Child

The Life Of A Band Director's Child

It's a special lifestyle that you come to love

74
The Life Of A Band Director's Child

Imagine: eating, sleeping, and breathing music constantly since you entered the world. You fall asleep at concerts watching your mom/dad waving their hands in front of students with shiny things. You've listened to many different styles of music growing up. You walk around with the bands at competitions or concerts. The music gets stuck in your head for days on end. Sometimes when you haven’t even played it! This is only a taste of what it’s like to be a band director’s child. There’s good parts, and what feels like not-so-good parts. Either way, it’s an experience that not many people get to have. And because of that, it’s incredibly special.

1. Getting up at 5:30 a.m., or just early in general, is no big deal.

You have to get to school early to help prep and set up for practices, and those early morning practices never get old. *insert a smidgen of sarcasm here*

2. You can somehow find ways to get to sleep in charter buses, or buses in general.

From honor bands, to contests, or other various performances, you’ll spend a lot of time in them. This often leads to gaining knowledge of how to best utilize space, the most comfortable ways to sleep, and more.

3. You’re expected to be involved in every kind of band (not that you’re complaining).

You’re parent is the director, how can you not be in everything? You’ve been eating, sleeping, and breathing band since you were conceived!

4. Everyone expects you to be an extremely talented musician.

Your parent is a successful musician if they can teach it, therefore those traits and genes have to have been passed down to you right?

5. You’re supposed to have everything memorized first.

You have to be the one to set the example, better get to knowing your music first.

6. Getting roped into helping with events before you’re involved is not uncommon.

Since you could walk, you’ve been helping set up and tear down. You can contribute to the family now.

7. You get roped in even after you graduate.

Just because you’re gone doesn’t mean that you get to slack off on your responsibilities. It’s OK though, coming back to help is almost relaxing because it’s so familiar.

8. By the time you’re a sophomore, you probably know half of the band directors in the state.

Band directors are a pretty tight bunch and everyone really knows everyone. You’ve probably met more people than you can name at various band and non-band events.

9. On occasion, you get to meet and learn from some high caliber/famous musicians.

Depending on what grade levels of band your parent teaches, they may be able to hire, or recruit, higher up musicians to come teach clinics or perform with you. That is always a magical experience.

10. People will probably ask if you’re going to teach music as well.

Once again, it’s supposed to be in your DNA so you’re probably itching to teach it. It may get annoying from time to time, but it's not a bad thing.

11. Sometimes band has to come before all other groups.

You’ve been part of band since you were born because band is your first family. They accept you quickly, and if you’re parent is a director, sometimes your loyalty has to lie there first.

12. There are a lot of opportunities open to you because of your parent.

Your parent has the inside scoops on camps, the best college music departments, has connections, and much more. You can go as far as you want when you have that system behind you.

13. The band room becomes your second home.

This is the room where you spend most of your time outside of class. It’s the hangout room, cafeteria, changing room, and more.

14. You always have a family within the band.

Before, during, and even after you leave, people know who you are. Their love and respect for you will always be there. Even when you haven’t been home in months, you always have a support system to come home to.