"You Know That Place Between Asleep and Awake, The Place Where You Can Still Remember Dreaming? That's Where I'll Always Love You. That's Where I'll Be Waiting" - Tinkerbell by J.M. Barrie

Life After Shock: Moving Forward While Holding Tight

307
Bing.com/images

There’s an out-of-body experience that occurs with memories. Sometimes your mind takes flight like time travel back to re-live a moment in your life. At least, that's how it seems when a perfect memory is seared in your mind and all you want to do is sit with it. No fast forwarding or new realities allowed – if just for that moment. You’d think for an individual who has lost someone to suicide the first reaction would be to greet the topic with a visceral response, something like a profound hate or a bottomless well of bewilderment. The real shock, one could say, are the days that come to pass years later. The better days, where one moment you’re dancing around very Bridget Jones-esque - in your element, unashamed, full of joy and wonder; then out of nowhere the memory of them faces you head on. The joy of the day still firmly wrapped around you and you remember everything. The best and the worst; the beginning and the end. In this moment you lock eyes with truth and, through unbeknownst strength, a wave of peace rushes over you. You pray for their soul and picture them happy.

Invite the rollercoaster of emotions in because these emotions won’t dare be ignored. With that said, everyone grieves differently and responds differently to their own life experiences. Even so, we all know there is no real closure when losing someone, but there is hope for peace and better days. Maybe in years past, you’ve broken glass, released a balloon or torn up messages to honor and commemorate a life lost. It’s important for you to tell their story and if you feel it’s not your story to tell you can always just thank the people who have always lent an ear, a hand, or a shoulder to cry on. Thank you. We belong to each other and no one should feel alone.

In honor of Suicide Awareness and Prevention month which takes place in September, please be kind and remember we affect one another more than we think so be vigilant with your compassion and recognize the signs of when someone is in trouble. Things are rarely as they seem and in my opinion compassion is a muscle we can never flex enough. Sometimes people feel deeply, profoundly alone and may need therapy, medication, and support groups and that’s okay. It is not a sign of weakness to ask for help. It is a sign of strength to recognize and do something about it. We can’t always be strong but together we can find strength. Keep every month like September with suicide awareness and prevention.

For more information see https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ ; www.suicidefindinghope.com ; https://www.helpguide.org/articles/suicide-prevent... or call 800-273-8255.