For The Liberal Mind Living In A Conservative Family

Encouragement for a liberal surrounded by strong, conservative opinions

100
pixabay.com

Dear Human Who Wants to Speak Up,

I am not a trump supporter. Most of my family is. I do not understand how this ignorant human came to power. I feel alone a lot of the time. Sometimes I want someone to talk to about how upset I am. Other times, I just want to scream. I have been called a "lib-tard" and "incapable of having a conversation" because of my political affiliation. At this point, I am unaffected by the attacks. But I still choose to respect the opinions of my family members because I love them. I'm not going to let politics get in the way of my relationships. Love is family. Love is friends. Love is putting everything else aside and moving forward. However, it is difficult to let the judgment accumulate to levels where you feel explosive. My question is this: Why is it so hard to block out the differences and respect each other's opinions? I may never figure that out. But what I do know is that you can not hold back. You can not be discouraged. Stand up and speak up.

To say that The General Election of 2016 has brought out strong political opinions is saying the absolute least. In fact, before this election, I never realized how passionately Conservative my own family is. When I say "passionately," I mean that they refuse to respect my own political beliefs and constantly lash out at me for having a different point of view. Honestly, I feel like my family has become divided because of their lack of understanding. Sometimes, I think it would be easier to just never talk about politics. But the fact of the matter is that I should be allowed to talk when a dinner table conversation takes a turn towards a Dems versus Repubs standoff. I should not be afraid of any kind of backlash. My opinion matters, just like everybody else's does. I choose to SPEAK UP.

Personally, I find social issues very important. But, I have found it difficult to stand up for what I believe in when I am surrounded by people who feel even stronger about other political issues. Of course, I believe foreign relations, the military, and economics to be important as well. But what comes first in my mind, is the treatment of each individual and whether or not they feel welcome, not to mention safe, in their country.

I believe the millennial age has run into somewhat of an obstacle. We are exposed to a different society than our parents and certainly, our grandparents were. Succumbing to their traditional viewpoints is only going to slow the advancement of an accepting society. I have grown up with and grown close to people of many different ethnicities, religions, and sexual affiliations. I love them all. I believe that everyone should be treated as equally as possible no matter what their background. Despite the overwhelming power of an opinionated, my-way-or-the-highway attitude as our opposition, we need to not be afraid to speak up and speak our minds.

Recently, I got in somewhat of an argument with one of my family members. I was reprimanded for speaking up: "I will not be preached to by a 19-year-old." A comment like that is not the easiest to just forget about, especially when you never receive any form of apology. I responded by simply stating that I plan to stand up for what I believe is right. I will not be silenced.

Plainly stated, if you are struggling to speak your mind, you are not alone. Do not be afraid to share your opinions. They are valuable thoughts. Remember what is the most important to you as an individual because that's all that ultimately matters. Despite any disapproving remarks from the family, you are enriching the world and beginning to make it a better place.