LGBT month ends, but pride stands

LGBT month ends, but pride stands

"I had to put my phone down and spent a good five minutes silently contemplating whether or not it was even a good idea to attend Pride anymore out of fear for mine and my friends' safety."

10
LGBT month ends, but pride stands
Bossip

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) pride month is celebrated in June of each year to commemorate the 1969 Stonewall Riots in Manhattan. That time in history is considered the first time a major protest was performed in the name of equal rights for homosexuals.

The Manhattan, police legally raided the club-- Stonewall Inn-- at 3 a.m. because it lacked a liquor license. However, as the Stonewall employees were being arrested, three drag queens and a lesbian were also taken in.

The police had a history of past discrimination to those of the gay community; inturn, the street crowd turned angry and threw bottles at the police in protest of their actions. This ended in the several days following with Gay-support demonstrations, including the Gay Liberation Front, and many other LGBT civil rights groups showing support as well.

In June, cities all around the country--Houston, New York City, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh--- celebrate their homosexual, bisexual and transgender friends and family with celebrations and parades.

After the Orlando massacre, the worst in United States history, many were cautious about attending the June annual Gay Pride parades.

“Emotionally, I've been all over the place. Mostly, I keep switching between anger and sadness right now, and I don't know how anyone views it differently. Being bisexual, when I first received the news, I was anxious and a little afraid. I woke up on Sunday morning to go to Pittsburgh Pride with a bunch of friends, and I read the news article over my morning coffee,” said Indiana University of Pennsylvania freshman Libbey Moore.

“I had to put my phone down and spent a good five minutes silently contemplating whether or not it was even a good idea to attend Pride anymore out of fear for mine and my friends' safety. We ended up going anyway, and I'm glad we did, but throughout the day, I got a lot of texts from friends and family asking about my safety and expressing their concern. I could tell a lot of people were and are very scared, and it's obvious that the Orlando massacre has taken a toll on everyone somehow.”

However, the reaction to this event was less negative and more positive.

The National Public Radio (NPR) reported that there were 600-700 people waiting to donate blood at one Orlando blood bank alone.

"Talking to some of the workers here at the blood bank, they said that they've never seen a response like this since, really, Sept. 11," said NPR New York writer Hansi Lo Wang.

The OneOrlando fund, created by Strengthen Orlando Inc. and aided by Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer, has gotten a one million dollar donation from the Walt Disney Company, $500,000 from the Orlando Magic team-- $400,000 from the owner family DeVos and $100,000 from the team, $100,000 from the JetBlue Airways Corporation and $25,000 from NASCAR.

“Hate may have visited our community. It’s taken the lives of innocent people. It has shaken us to our core and broken our hearts. But, hate will not define us. And, hate will not defeat us. Because we are ONE Orlando,” said Mayor Buddy Dyer on the OneOrlando Fund about page.

New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo has decided to erect a memorial for the Orlando Massacre Victims’ honor in New York City.

In an interview with New York Daily News, Cuomo stated, “It is more important than ever that we stand up for the LGBT community and ensure everyone is treated with dignity, fairness and respect.”

Moore also commented in respect to the victims and their families.

“To the victims and their families: Stay strong. We are all in this together. Please do not allow this to make you live your life in fear, “ Moore stated. “Healing takes a long time, but it is possible. Hope is out there and love is out there, and justice will be brought to you.

A calendar for all the LGBT Pride events can be found on Gay Pride Calendar. Outside of June, there are other Gay Pride events anyone can attend.

The Gay and Lesbian Community Center in Pittsburgh (GLCC) posts the LGBT events and LGBT friendly events in Pittsburgh and in the vicinity, such as Alcohol Anonymous (AA) groups, and also posts their own events such as Persad Real Time that helps youth with suicide and depression.

Pride may be celebrated traditionally in June however, it is all year around. It is always being celebrated by those people coming out and the support they get from their friends and family.

“I am a proud bisexual who recently came out publicly at the beginning of May,” Moore stated. “To my fellow LGBT members: DO NOT LIVE IN FEAR. Do not live in fear. You cannot live in fear. There is strength in numbers. We are all in this together. Don't be afraid to come out. Please come out. Show people that we are out there and we are proud to be. #KeepKissing and most importantly, donate blood if you can!!”

Madeline Gavatorta, News