A Letter To My Grandmother Who I Miss Now More Than Ever

Visit your grandparents while they are still here in this world.

283
Photo by Anders Nord on Unsplash

It has been ten years since Bubba (my grandmother) has passed away. I miss her every day and I wanted to write a letter in honor of her. She was an incredible woman with a strong character. She was someone who I looked up to when I was younger. Here it is:

Dear Bubba,

How are you? I hope you are doing well up there. I miss you a lot especially around this time of the year. Around this time is when you passed away on the first night of Passover (a Jewish holiday). Every Passover, Mom and Dad always ask, "When was the most memorable Passover seder you had?" I always say the same thing every year and that is the seder that you passed away. I was nine years old when you left us and I didn't really understand what death was at the time... I didn't understand why you had to go. As I got older, I understood more and I accepted the fact that you were gone forever.

Bubba, you are one of my biggest inspirations. You fought cancer for many years and you were so strong throughout it. Whenever my dad or my aunts talk about you, they always say that you didn't want to give up. You were so brave and many called you the strongest woman they knew. Despite the medical challenges you had, you still were the funny, sweet, and amazing mother and grandmother you were. I have used your motto to never give up in my own life. Whenever life hits me hard, I try to tell myself to not give up and to keep going.

Every Saturday, Dad would make me come visit you with him. I would sometimes complain about going because it was a long drive from Miami to your house in Pembroke Pines. Looking back now, I'm grateful that Dad made me go week after week. It gave me the idea of the value visiting your parents/grandparents has. When I get older, I will be taking my children to visit my parents every Saturday just like what I did with you.

I remember talking to you on one visit about my bat mitzvah even though it was years away and I distinctly remember hoping that you would be there. I knew that you also wanted to be there as well. On my actual bat-mitzvah, I did a candle lighting ceremony in honor of you and others. I haven't told anyone this but I swear I felt your presence in the room. I felt that you were watching from above smiling at me.

I miss coming over to your house and eating your world's best rugglahs. I miss cracking walnuts with your nutcracker. I miss talking to you. I miss your smile whenever I walked in. I miss seeing you sit in the rocking chair. I miss being excited to come over. I miss you Bubba every day. I love you beyond words.