What I Know Now: A Letter To My Younger Self

I'm so proud of you.

94

Hey Girl,

First of all, I just wanted to take a moment to apologize for all the pain I ever caused you. I made you overthink every conversation you ever had, and made you stay up countless times all through the night crying and questioning your worth. You should've never had to, but I didn't have a clue about anything back then. There is so much more to life than what was middle and high school, and I wish we knew that then.

To be honest, I do not know how you managed to get through middle school. All those mean girls and bullies, that was a battle. But you did it! You made it through, and with good grades at that! I'm so proud of you. You proved that you can do anything you set your mind to, no matter what challenges are thrown your way.

Not only did you deal with some bad friends, but you dealt with things most thirteen year olds don't normally go through. But that didn't stop you. You pushed by the haters, and you conquered. I'm so proud of you.

Most thirteen year olds didn't suffer from crushing anxiety then, and if they did, it definitely wasn't as public as it is today. There was not even close to as many resources and help lines that there are today, and you still made it through. All those countless nights crying and days without eating, and you still managed to battle through. You're pretty amazing, do you know that?

And most thirteen year olds didn't have to constantly face grown adults belittling them. You were constantly forced to prove yourself to adults, time and time again. You were always proving to them that you were good enough, and that you weren't someone to be overlooked. You never let yourself be hidden in the shadows of others.

You never gave up girl, and I am so grateful you never did. From crappy exes to crappy friends, you kept grinding. Even on days when you were too exhausted both mentally and physically to even get out of bed. You did it, and you helped me grow into the confident young adult I am today.

Honestly, I look up to you-- which sounds pretty strange seeing as I'm the older you. But I really do. Without you, I wouldn't be the person I am today. I wouldn't love myself for who I am, and I wouldn't be as strong as I am today if it weren't for you. Your strength and dedication is something admirable. Your motivation to pursue anything is what got me to where I am now; a college senior getting ready for graduation in May.

All because of you.

We made it to twenty-one girl. It was a long-fought battle, but we did it! All because of your strength, perseverance and motivation to not give up.

So thank you, because without you pushing through and showing your strength and courage day in and day out, we wouldn't be the girl we are today. And that girl is pretty amazing.

I'm so proud of you.

Sincerely,

You.