A Letter To My Younger Self On The Importance Of Friendships

If you could give your younger self some advice, what would it be?

221
Pixabay.com

Dear Younger Me,

It’s been so long since we’ve talked. Don’t worry, we’re doing fine. We’re healthy-ish and following our dream of becoming a writer. You haven’t realized it yet, but you love to write. And guess what? You’re really good at it!

Yes, we’re still single. But don’t worry. We love our life and have had some incredible adventures. Just wait until you go back to Europe! Oh, speaking of which, don’t forget your contacts this time and bring back two bottles of that wine you like.

Something’s been on my mind a lot lately and I wanted to talk to you about it. It’s something I wish the older me would have talked to the younger me about when I was you. (Still with me? Good!)

You are at a point in our life when we have a lot of friends. Between everyone you work with at Nordstrom and everyone at Cal State, you interact with a ton of people on a daily basis. You’re making new friends and acquaintances almost every day.

That’s great! Keep doing that! You’ve already met a few lifelong friends whom I still keep in contact with and are a very important part of my life.

The rest are people you’ll hang out with, you’ll go on a few adventures with and then eventually, you’ll fall out of touch. But when social media becomes a thing, you’ll reconnect with a lot of them. (Don’t worry, you’ll find out what social media is soon enough).

It’s ok to lose touch with these people. That’s life. Just learn as much as you can from them while you can. This is a wonderful time in our lives. We’re finding out who we are as a person and as a woman.

And you know who is important on this journey of self-discovery?

Our friends.

Now, by friends I don’t mean the acquaintances you’re meeting and hanging out with casually. I’m talking about your real friends.

They are the ones who are always by your side. Not literally, of course. They have their own lives. But you know that when you need them, no matter where they are, they’ll be there.

This is what I really wanted to talk to you about.

Protect these friendships. Don’t take them for granted. They will help you through some of the most difficult times in your life. Like during your next breakup. They are the ones that will take you out, whose shoulders you’ll cry on and who will make you ready to get back out there again. They are also the ones who will let you keep talking about him…over and over and over again. They deserve medals for that alone.

They are there for you when you lose Grandpa and Grandma. When you’re so sad you can barely breathe, they’ll be the ones who help you put back together the pieces of your broken heart. They will surround you with so much love and sisterhood that they will become forever, family.

There are too many times in our lives when we meet someone new – either a new friend or boyfriend – and we ignore our friends.

Please try not to do that.

Don’t be the girl who cancels plans with your girls because you got a last minute invite from your new guy. Don’t be the girl who puts off making plans with your friends until the very last minute because you’re hoping he’ll call. Don’t be the girl who disappears as soon as she starts dating someone new.

Yes, I know it’s new and exciting. Yes, I know he’s really cute and makes your heart race. But just remember that long after he’s gone, your girls will still be there. Don’t mistreat them. They don’t deserve that.

You, my dear younger self, are blessed to have some pretty amazing women in your life. But you’re not done yet. There are still a few friends you have yet to meet or reconnect with. But don’t worry, you will! I promise.

These women you will come to call your sisters will be there for you. They will believe in you. They will encourage you. They will protect you. But most of all, they will love you for who you are. They are writers, counselors, interpreters, mama bears, warriors, and co-workers. But most of all, they are kindred spirits who are a part of your life forever.

So protect these friendships with all your heart and soul. Fight for them! Nurture and encourage them! Don’t let anyone come between them.

Trust me when I say that they are immensely important and absolutely well worth it.

Would I steer you wrong?

Love always,

Me