To The High School Friends Who I Am Still Friends With

The people you still pay attention to on Instagram

15
Camila Pinero

Senior year of high school. It was our last year of enjoying each other in one place before heading our separate ways onto different campuses and into other people’s lives. As most of us trek through our second year of college, many of us have found our niches, our constant friends, and even some new friends. We’ve all probably gotten more than comfortable with life on our campus by now.

Yet, despite such comfort, growth, and life changes, we can’t help but scroll through our feeds and read the latest post from an old high school friend. It may be a bit dramatic considering it hasn’t been that long since high school for us, but if any of you are like me, you feel like it's been so long.

I know that there are many people that we just don’t talk to anymore now that we are college students and that may or may not bother most of us. However, there are a few people that you do care about as much as your new college friends. Those are the people that you send weird snapchats to. Those are the people that you text or message on Facebook every so often just to catch up. Those are the people you actually still pay attention to on Instagram.

To those people, my high school friends, I want to say this.

I know that all of us (who are going to different colleges, at least) have parted ways for a while now, but I’ll always be there to chat if need be. You don’t have to and I’m not requiring it, but I just want to leave the option out there for anyone. Sure, if I’m busy, as most college kids are, I probably won’t answer immediately, but I will get back to you as soon as possible. I’ll respond to old inside jokes and weird snapchats. I’ll ask you about your life and answer any questions about how I’m doing if you ask. I’ll listen to any rants if need be and I’ll try and give advice if you want some… just like I used to do when we were in high school.

Just because I have college friends who I love hanging out with, doesn’t mean I’m automatically shutting everyone I used to know out. Perhaps, it’s true that I wouldn’t mind not talking to some people on my Facebook friend list, but there are a few people who will always get a response from me. Don’t think I’m ignoring you. What are friendships for?