A Letter To The Grandfather I Never Got The Chance To Meet

How is it that I never met you, yet it feels like I have known you my entire life?

399
Annette Solarski

Dear Grandpop,

Hi, it's Allison, your youngest grandchild. We have never met, but somehow I know a lot about you. I am sure you know a lot about me because I can feel you watching over me every day.

When I was younger, I would always ask questions about "the man in the picture frame on grandma's table" (Spoiler that man is you).

Who is that man? Why do people start to tear up when they share stories about him? Where did he go? Why couldn't I meet him?

As a child, my curiosity resulted in endless story time with Grandma. I was amazed by this man that everybody talked about. I wanted to hear as many stories about you as I could. Some of my favorite stories are how you used to dress up as Santa for the neighborhood kids or the story of how you met Grandma.

Even though I never met you, I feel like I have known you my entire life. By the way people talk about you; I know for a fact that you were a pretty amazing guy. Your presence has never been forgotten. You made such an impact on your family and friends that they are constantly sharing memories and stories about you. I feel like you are the type of person I could go to about my problems and you would know exactly what to say.

When I watch old family videos and see you on film, you are exactly what I expected you to be. The stories that people tell are not exaggerated one bit. You are lively, funny, loving, and a pleasure to be around.

From stories people have told me, you were the man who would drop anything for his family and friends. You were the man who unconditionally loved his wife and children. You were the man who made sacrifices for his family. It is amazing that I know all of these qualities about you, yet I never met you. I feel connected to you through all the stories people share.

If I could meet you today, I would first give you a big hug. I would hold on tight and not let go. I have a feeling that you give some pretty amazing hugs, the type of hugs that make tears go away. I would then thank you for making my family so happy. I hope I am making you proud. I would ask you for some advice on how to be the type of person that is never forgotten. That is a life goal that everyone should have, to always be remembered.

When there is death, we must not be sad forever. We must make those who have passed a living part of our life. Just because someone is gone, does not mean we forget about them. We must always share the memories we have so that their presence will live on forever.

Please continue to watch over my family and tell Uncle Joe I said hello.

I love you Grandpop,
Allison