A Letter To Seniors Awaiting College Decisions

Don't miss out on the last few months of your high school career, because those are the most important.
183

It's March, which means that college decision letters are upon you and the rest of your friends and classmates. Some people already know where they're going to school next year thanks to Early Decision. However, you feel as if you're behind everyone else, eagerly anticipating your own letter, hoping that the first words you read are "Congratulations on your acceptance!"

You might even be continuously counting down the days and the minutes until you receive that long-awaited email which will ultimately determine your future, your next four years, your new group of friends, your major, and your new home.

Waiting is the worst part, trust me. All of us already in college know and understand the pain of constantly refreshing our emails which you all are feeling. The only thing that's constantly on your mind is: Where will I end up? Will it be my top choice? Will I be happy?

Let me give you some advice: Don't worry, just live.

I know, all you want to do is dive into the future and just have a glimpse of what you're about to experience. You might even be spending most of your classes daydreaming about the college experiences that are yet to come, all while hoping that the decision you receive will bring you good news.

While it is good to be hopeful and focused on this next step, don't completely forget about your last few months that you have in high school. Because, trust me, you'll regret it later on.

Constantly hearing that high school is the best four years of your life can be annoying, especially because there's so many rules and commitments. You just want to break free from them and move into your college dorm room knowing you have endless freedom. Believe it or not, all of the scenarios that you're experiencing right now are precious memories that you will not want to forget later on.

High school is the place where you find yourself; where you discover what passions you have; where you go to multiple football games under the lights; where you might even meet some of your greatest friends whom you'll never forget. It's the place where some of the best memories are made. You definitely do not want to spend your last few months completely focused on the future and ignoring all of these amazing opportunities and experiences.

What's to come in your last few weeks as a high schooler will be some of the most emotional memories too: your last few classes, your last sports game, your senior week, prom, graduation, and so much more. All of these are where some of the best moments can be made between you and your friends, so why waste it thinking of something that's months ahead?

It might be tempting to look forward into what is yet to come, but believe me, it'll fly by before you can even imagine.

Live in the present and enjoy your last few months of high school, take every day one step at a time, and make the most of everything.