A Thank You Letter To My Boyfriend's Family

I cannot thank you enough for all the things you do!

17832
aifs.gov

I was raised in a dysfunctional family: stereotypically southern and overdramatic. My family shaped me into the person I am today, but I always longed for a family with parents who loved each other and family members that didn't fight almost every time they saw each other.

When I began dating my boyfriend, I learned that he was pretty close to his family. While most of his family lived far away in the north, he had an outstanding relationship with his parents; one that made me incredibly nervous to meet them. I wanted to impress them. I cared about him so much and I knew I had to make his parents like me. As I spent time with him, I spent more time with his family: his mom, his dad and even graduation day with his extended family.

I realized that I owe them a lot.

To my boyfriend's family,

It now seems like eons ago since I first walked into your house. I remember shaking with nerves, but when I walked into your front door and said hello, I had no idea how much you would mean to me and how thankful I am for all of you!

Thank you for welcoming me in.

Everyone always talks about the crazy experiences they have when they meet their significant other's parents, and so I didn't know what to expect. But you both welcomed me with open arms and made me feel right at home. It's sometimes not easy to do that – especially with someone you don't really know – but you took the time to get to know me.

Thank you for being a major support system for me.

In the last year and a half, so many things have happened in my life. I started dating the love of my life, but I also lost a parent. I went through pretty huge family changes and I don't know where I would be today if I didn't have you guys to lean on during those times. You showed me immense support in times when you truly didn't have to (one of them only a month into knowing you) and I can't fully tell you how much I appreciate everything you have done for me.

Thank you for always making me laugh and smile.

The times that I have together with you are always fun. Between you both bickering with each other to you both picking on your son, I love being part of the amazing family dynamic you three have with each other. It's truly phenomenal to be a part of an actual happy family, and I can't thank you enough for letting me be a part of it.

Thank you for sharing all of your special moments with me.

The family nights and holidays have been so amazing to be able to share with you. It's heartwarming to be able to join another family's Christmas without feeling invasive, and I was truly grateful on Thanksgiving (and was definitely thanking you all so much -- as well as that fantastic dinner)! I'm happy to have shared so many great memories alongside you all; they all share a special place in my heart and will never be forgotten.

Thank you for always being there for him, too.

Even when I first met you, I could see the love and support you have for him. Even through the toughest times, you have shown me the unconditional love you give to him, and you both truly are the best support system. I know he's stubborn and pretends not to listen to you most times, but he takes what you all say to heart and really appreciates all that you do for him.

Thank you for teaching me valuable life lessons.

Whether it's teaching me how to drive or how to stand up for myself, you both have taught me valuable lessons that I'll carry for life. You both are charitable and kind, and are even calm and collected in the most dire of situations. I have learned to be more generous and friendly, but have also learned how to laugh things off and have a good time.

Thank you for accepting me.

This is what I'm most thankful for. I never thought I would meet someone as amazing and great as your son, but I also never thought I would feel truly at home with his family. You accepted me as one of your own and I no longer have the shaky nerves or worries when I'm around you both. The love and gratitude I feel is overwhelming, and I am so incredibly honored to be a part of your family.

You are the most incredible family, and I am not able to thank you enough!