A Letter To My High School Self

A Letter To My High School Self

Please take my advice.

6
A Letter To My High School Self

Dear me,

It has been a few years, and, trust me, the time has done a lot for you. I realize that you're going through a very tumultuous period of your life, what with managing your grades, friends, sports and extra-curricular activities, but I think I can offer advice that might make things easier for you. Your entire life seems so small and all wrapped up within the walls of this high school, but as someone who has seen the world outside of it, or at least a small part of it, I'm qualified to tell you a few things.

First of all, you're wonderful. You don't need the acceptance or attention of others to have self worth. All of the things you're doing now to try and fit in aren't worth it in the long run. You see, the problem isn't that they don't like you, it's that you don't like you. This sounds harsh, but it's what every teenager needs to hear. Your goal shouldn't be having the most friends or dating the most popular boy in school or winning prom queen. None of those things can translate into self-love if you don't actually love yourself. The truth behind everyone's need for popularity is actually everyone's need for confidence. We all just want to be confident and love who we are, so spend more time trying to do that and spend less time trying to fit in.

Also, your family is important. Once you leave your home you will long for even the days spent bickering with them, so don't waste a minute. I didn't realize how much I would lean on my mom and dad once I went away to college. I had it in my mind that I would leave and suddenly become totally independent, but that wasn't at all what happened. Instead, I realized just how much they meant to me. Your parents are your home. Take it from someone whose parents moved out of her childhood home after she left; home is never really a place, it is a feeling, and my parents always provide that feeling for me. So, take more time with your family and be careful with their feelings when you go to leave, because it is going to hurt them even more than it is going to hurt you.

And another thing: take school, sports, or anything else you do more seriously. I know that the social aspects of your life make you want to brush off your responsibilities, but the sooner you learn to work hard the easier life will be. The real world is rapidly approaching for you, and as much fun as it would be to slack off, your future self deserves better. So, work on being more responsible and taking the important things in life seriously, because it will take you far.

Lastly, be kind to others. You may not like some people in your life, or you may despise a certain teacher or coach, but you won't benefit from acting on those feelings. The truth is, you're at a point in your life where you only think about yourself. You probably rarely consider other peoples' situations because you're so wrapped up in who is going to ask you to homecoming or your next big game. So you don't really see the full scope of things. Take the time to be compassionate, respectful and a genuine person, even when you don't want to be. Not only will this make the lives of the people around you better, but it will make you better. Being a snot-nosed kid comes back to bite you every time, believe me. You are so much better off trying to treat others well.

I know that you have a million things buzzing through your teenage mind, but hopefully, these tips will stick. I can guarantee that trying to follow this advice is only going to make things easier for you. And as you attempt to do so, also remember to not take this all too seriously. Nothing that happens between the start and end of the school day is going to be the end of the world. I promise that it will all be just fine in the end. I hope this advice inspires you to be courageous enough to try and be a kind, confident, loving and hard-working human being because the world deserves more of them.

Love,

Future You