A Letter To My Dad From Your College Daughter

Because you were not afraid to be the kind of hands on dad you were, we have turned out to be the kind of women we are.

634
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/10/04/6364271803270187912082618323_pexels-photo.jpg

Dear Dad,

I thought all girls had the relationship with their dad that I have with you. A relationship of unconditional love, understanding, compassion, and respect. I have learned over these past few years that this is absolutely untrue. So if I have one thing to say..

Thank you for making the best ponytails.

It has been the joke for years that dad could pull our hair up in a ponytail just as good as mom could and now I realize the long term impacts this has made. You had two daughters, but you learned to pull our hair up. Instead of trying to make us fit into some type of mold of who you wanted us to be or going off golfing you tied our hair in ponytails. You took us to dance, cheerleading, basketball, softball, and anything in between. You were not afraid to be a dad. You were not afraid that in some way being a loving and compassionate father would take away your ability to be a man.

Because you were not afraid to be the kind of hands on dad you were, we have turned out to be the kind of women we are. When we got older and looked for a committed relationship we found men like you. You taught us what it means to be a husband and a father. For that, I am forever thankful.

I see so many girls on campus and they have no idea what it means to have a relationship like we have. They have no idea what it is like to have a dad who supports them and is proud of them. They have no idea what it means to have a relationship with their dad to where they can tell them anything and even if they disapprove they still love them. I have that. I cherish that.

From the time I was old enough to remember you told me I could do anything I set my mind to. I would always laugh and smile but after years of you telling me that I realized you truly believed it. Then, I slowly began to believe it. I learned to have confidence in myself and my abilities. I let go of my fear of trying and failing because I knew I had a dad who would catch me and help me back up if I did.So now as I get ready to graduate from college I believe that in some way I have you to thank for that as well. You made me believe I could do it.

Thank you for the things you do that we never took the time to tell you how much we appreciate. Thank you for always making sure we had all of what we needed and most of what we wanted. Thank you for encouraging us to pursue our dreams while also letting us know that there will be challenges in the real world. Thank you for keep us grounded.

I am forever thankful to be your daughter.

I love you,

Your Daughter