An Open Letter To My "Baby" Sister

An Open Letter To My "Baby" Sister

No matter what happens, I'll always support you.

29
An Open Letter To My "Baby" Sister
Abbi Griffin

Well, where do I begin? Since the day you were born, you’ve been not only the biggest pain in my butt but also my best friend. I’ve had to deal with you crying as a baby and being cranky as a teenager, but it’s all been worth it when it comes down to it. You have always supported me and looked up to me and I hope I’ve been a good example for you through the years. As much as you look up to me, I look up to you just as much, little sis.

As the years have passed, I’ve had the opportunity to see you grow up into the teenager you are now. There have been a lot of challenges brought upon you in the past, but you’ve faced them head on and have come so far since. When I look at old pictures of you, it seems like they were taken a lifetime ago because you’ve grown up so much the past couple of years. (Don’t grow anymore, you’re already taller than me.) I cannot even believe you are going into high school next year. That just doesn’t seem right at all.

Since we have such a big age gap between us, I might not always be around to be there for you as I have in the past. However, I hope that through the years you know you always have me supporting you, even if it’s from afar. You best believe that on your graduation day, I’ll be the crazy older sibling screaming when they call my baby sister’s name to walk the stage and get her diploma.

In the next few years, both of our lives will change so much but I’m confident that we’ll always remain close. Since you were a baby we’ve had a special bond, and nothing could break that. I like that you think I basically raised you when we watch home videos because I was always looking out for you (mom, she’s only kidding when she says it, it’s okay.) For the rest of our lives, I’ll always make sure I do just that.

As your big sister, I hope that life always treats you well. It won’t always be fair, and things won’t always go your way, but no life is perfect and I hope you remember that, too. I hope you understand your worth and never let anyone take that away from you. Friends will come and go, but know which friends are worth fighting for and those who aren’t worth your time. High school will bring many new challenges for you, but it’s nothing you can’t handle. In the end, you’ll only be stronger.

I can’t possible teach you everything there is to know about what you’ll be going through the next few years, but I will always be willing to listen when times get tough. I’m so proud of you and all your accomplishments and I can’t wait to see where life takes you next. I love you forever, baby sis, and no matter how old we get, you’ll always be my baby sister.