A Letter To Incoming Freshmen

A Letter To Incoming Freshmen

These four years truly are the best of your life.

250
A Letter To Incoming Freshmen
Ariana Pelosci

Dear Incoming Freshman,

Entering college is a scary but exciting time in your life. Everything you know is going to be changing, and you'll be living in a place you've never been before. Don't let this fear of unknown stop you from making the best out of your experience.

Everyone has and is in your shoes. Nobody knows each other, and everyone is a little homesick. Take this opportunity to make new friends. Because the first couple of weeks of school are the most vital for making a lasting impression on the people around you.

Most of you will be living in a dorm with no air conditioning. Even if you do have it, keep your doors open. This way it allows you to see the people living on your floor, and it even invites people to stop in and say hi.

Don't shut yourselves away in your rooms either. The first couple of weeks of school are insane with activity fairs and different events on campus. Invite some people from your floor or even your classes to go with you.

It's going to be awkward. You're attempting to make new friends when you probably haven't done that since high school or kindergarten. You'll laugh about it later because you don't realize how quickly these friendships will form.

Some of my best memories of my friends and I were those first few weeks of school, sitting in each other's rooms and laughing about crazy things. Creating a good friend group and support system at school is more important than I can possibly stress.

Just because friends and joining activities are important, academics play a very large role as well. You're at school for a reason. Yes, some nights you can hang out with your friends until the sun comes up. However, others you'll have to lock yourself away studying. Find a good balance.

Go to the gym. You'll thank me for this later. The freshman fifteen is a very real thing, and if you don't begin to eat healthy at school it will show. Don't be the person who eats ice cream every night just because you can. Everything is better in moderation, I promise.

College is your first taste of freedom. Be responsible because as I said before the first impression that you give people will be a lasting one of you. Don't go wild because mom and dad aren't there to say no. You'll regret it later when you've had time to think about it.

Lastly, just have fun. Freshman year is such an exciting time. Everything is new, and you're learning so much. Take advantage of it all. Try new things because that's why you're away at school.

Some days I wish I could go back to the beginning because it was such a fun time. Don't waste these opportunities. You don't want to have regrets later because you didn't join a certain club or go out that one time. Live your life to the fullest because this is one of the times you'll be able to freely.