A Letter To A Graduating High School Senior

Wishing you nothing but the best.

431
pexels.com

Dear High School Senior,

As the semester comes to an end, and families begin to flood campuses for tours, I look back on how unbelievably fast time has flown. Almost a year ago, I too, was a part of that flock of newcomers touring schools. The end of high school can mean a bunch of different things to different people. Reflecting on the memories you have made throughout your time in school can be sad, but it only means you have been lucky enough to have something worth missing. Your senior year of high school is amongst other things, a moment of uncertainty. It’s not easy to have it all planned out; but who does? The bittersweet moments should be enjoyed while they last.

You might not know where you want to spend the next four years of your life, and that is perfectly fine. Everyone must go through this process at one point or another, and although it might feel like it’s the most important decision of your life, do not sweat. If you’re one of the people who will be taking tours of a certain school, make sure to take a look at everything around you. It might not seem like it, but at some point a year from now you will be watching someone else do the same. I know because I am currently doing so.

It should be noted that getting to know a campus and how it feels is important as well. The tours are given usually don’t necessarily showcase every place that campus has to offer, so it is a good idea to walk around and find spots you like. Also, enjoy the time that you have with your parents. It’s true, it’s not like you won’t ever see them again, but there will come a point when you will start to miss them.

And so, it can seem scary to think about what your future will look like, especially when you have only ever known one environment. What you should know, however, is that you should not take this time for granted. While the end of school does not necessarily mean that you will not see any of your friends again, it is a time of change. Tell all your friends how much they mean to you and how much you’re going to miss them. Tell them twice! And last but not least, enjoy college once the time comes.