7 Thank Yous I Owe My Best Friends Back Home

Here's to infinity with you by my side.

183
Katherine Campbell
“People say you don't know what you've got until it’s gone."

To my high school and childhood best friends,

Someone once said, "You don't know what you've got until it's gone," and sadly we've all learned this lesson the hard way since separating this past August. As my time in college has gone by, I have begun to realize how lucky I was to become best friends with all of you and to have been since the beginning.

I realize this letter is long overdue so I think it's finally necessary that I take the time now to thank you. Thank you for everything you have provided me in the last eight years of our friendship. Thank you for what's to come because I know this is just the beginning of our journey together.

Thank you to our wonderful mothers.

Without our mothers driving us around, allowing our countless sleepovers and trusting us when trick o' treating and at high school parties, our moms have not only approved but encouraged the beginning of our friendships. Without their hard work, loving and giving charismatic ways, we wouldn't be as close as we are now. They've all seen us through the laughs, the tears, and they never failed to always order half buffalo chicken, half pepperoni pizza for every occasion. Through the craziness of it all, we owe it to them for letting twelve-year-old girls start a friendship that would last a lifetime. Without them, I wouldn't have my future bridesmaids.

So here's a thank you to our mom's; safe to say I have an extra few moms who will always treat me as if I were their own. And that, to me, is extremely special to find.

Thank you for being my friend during my awkward teenage years of middle school.

If it wasn't for giving that circle glasses looking, brace face talking, and juicy couture sweatpants wearing girl a chance, I wouldn't have found all you wonderful people in my life. We survived from the dramas of the sixth grade, seventh and eighth grade all the way to dancing the night away at prom and lastly tearing up at graduation together. I could not imagine what those experiences would be like without the memories of you guys. Not many people can say they've known their best friends back home since the beginning, and I am so very thankful for that.

Thank you for being my biggest support system.

Whether it's a small reward or an insanely huge accomplishment, you guys have been the cheerleaders of a lifetime. You always supported me through the good and the bad. You all never gave up on me and continued to support me through everything I've ever gone through in my life. Your unconditional love and support have helped me through some of the hardest moments of my life. Without your help, I'm not sure that I could've been as successful or as strong as I am today. I definitely know I wouldn't have survived high school without you guys, and if it wasn't for our group chat, I would be nowhere without you guys in college as well.

Thank you for being my own personal therapist.

Our crying/venting sessions over the past few years have gotten me through some seriously tough times. You always knew what to say and have never judged me for my decisions. All you do is guide me in the best way possible.

Whether we're talking about how yet another ex-ex-ex boyfriend, or how we'd rather just drop out of school and work at our favorite place, Taco Bell, because the academic life is too tough and we'd get discounts on crunch wrap supremes, we somehow always manage to deal with each other, and especially when we need each other the most.

Without you guys, I wouldn't have been able to be strong for myself. You have helped me when I couldn't even help myself. You are the reason I am standing strong today. I have the utmost respect for the dedicated time you have taken out of your lives to forever be there for me no matter the time or how far away we are from each other.

Thank you for making home a place I never want to leave.

Leaving for college broke all of our hearts. We had to go from seeing each other every day to seeing each other make all new friends. That was tough. But at the end of the day, I always know I'll have you all there for me. When everyone on campus is sad that they have to leave for a break, I'm the only one who is excited.

I come home to the most amazing people and it's as if we had been seeing each other every day all along. You are all one of a kind, and I am so blessed to associate you with the most amazing place of all: home.

Thank you for always loving me for exactly who I am.

I can be crazy, stubborn, and downright dramatic, but despite all my flaws and imperfections, you still manage to love and accept me for me. There are days I wonder when you’ll finally come to your senses and move on and find a new best friend; one who isn’t so complicated, but to my amazement, you never do. You tell me you’ll take the good with the bad, and when I question whether I have any good left, you’re always there to reassure me and show me that I do. Thank you for loving me in my sad, awkward and embarrassment-filled moments — moments where if the rest of the world saw them, they’d probably walk away.

Thank you for understanding me like no one else does; if we didn’t have the connection we did, I can’t imagine how lonely and big this world would feel to me. It's only because of you guys that this world seems like a friendlier place; one I can see myself being a part of.

Thank you for never failing to make me beyond happy.

The only time I have ever felt complete bliss was when I've spent my moments with you guys. You make me feel like I can accomplish and be anything I want. You make me believe that dreams are possible. You make me see the good in this crazy, corrupt, evil world. Despite the bad that has consumed me, you still manage to always see the good. You make me feel happy, which is hard to do nowadays. So, I will forever thank you for making me feel like I can fly when all I thought I was capable of doing was drowning.

I could basically go on for hours talking about how thankful I am that you're in my life. I know that college is only four years and that after this is over we'll be back to seeing each other basically every day. I can't wait for the days where we can go to each other's weddings and give toasts to the beautiful brides that we'll become. I can't wait for the days that our kids grow up together and become best friends just like we did. I can't wait for the day that we grow old together and are the delinquents at the nursing home ramming into each other in our wheelchairs and taking shots during bingo.

I can't wait for our future because our friendship has only just begun. The future is all ours, and I can’t wait to see what we do. We are going to do great things and are going to have even better stories to tell when we all come back together one last time.

So here's to you. Because without you, I wouldn't even be close to who I am today.

Lastly, here's to infinity with you by my side.

Love always,

Your forever best friend