A Letter To My B-Ball Ladies As They Start Their Season

An Open Letter To My B-Ball Ladies About To Start Their Season

I wish I could be out there with you guys this year, but have fun out there. Here's my advice to make this season a good one.

125
Courtney Roman

First off, WOW, I MISS YOU GUYS LIKE CRAZY!!!!!

I miss singing a capella and screaming "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" on the bus. I miss our pre-game dance parties…not that I ever participated anyway. I miss conditioning and ladders with you guys...well on second thought, maybe not. I miss getting snack bags and notes from my little sisters. I miss our homemade delicious Gatorade. I miss laughing together all the time. I miss playing with you all on the court. I wish I could be out there with you guys this year, but have fun out there. Here's my advice to make this season a good one:

This season is not gonna be the same year….last year is last year, this year is this year. You gotta live in the present. Don't get caught up in "well last year this happened" or "last year we did this or that." This year is a new year, the moment you get caught up in last year, thinking it has to be the same, is the moment you'll be let down because it's just not the same.

BUT just because they aren't the same doesn't mean this one is going to be worse—it's gonna be what you make it. Make the most of it, approach every day with the mentality that you're going to work hard and do what's best for your team, and you will get better that day. Try to have the mindset to "win the day." Take it day by day, focus only one day at a time, don't let yourself think ahead. Don't think to the next game, don't think ahead to playoffs or WPIAL championships. Only be concerned about what's going with yourself in the present because that's all you can control.

It doesn't matter if you're the best or worst in the gym, every single one of you are role players. You have control over how you fill your role for your team. Each day you must fill your role so the team can be successful. Are the roles different? Yes. But at the end of the day, you all need to do your job to the absolute best of your ability every single day, and you'll be very successful.

I think most importantly, remember your bond as a team, that at the end of the day win or lose you are surrounded by some of your best friends. Never let a win or loss take that away.

To the Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors:

Remember the importance of leadership and followership. There's a time for both. Always remember, you are in the locker room and on the court with a lot of good leaders. You have a lot of time left in the high school basketball uniform, just learn from those ahead of you. Even though you're learning, don't ever take a back seat to anyone. Each and every day you have an opportunity to compete against a lot of talented players, always do your best. Don't think you're not good enough, because you are, there's a reason you are where. You're going to encounter challenges and bad days but learn from them, and there will always be better days. Always remember to work hard and get better, time is going to fly, so make the most of it.

To the Seniors:

It's your senior year...I know you want to have an amazing year. Just remember, don't get too low when it's low and don't let yourself get too high when it's high. Try and keep a level head because it really is never that bad. It might feel bad because of previous successes or because you think your perfect senior year isn't perfect anymore. But it's not that bad, you can bounce back and make it better. Time is literally going to fly. You have to play like it's your last time in a Lady Tigers uniform because soon enough it will be. Enjoy every moment, and don't get caught up in anything other than your enjoyment. Play for the girl who just loves the game, who just wants to have fun.

I love you ladies like crazy, and I can't wait to see you all succeed this year, in all aspects. I can't wait to see where you're in your futures take you!!! Go get that three-peat :)