A Letter To An Incoming High School Freshman

Going into high school may seem really scary but you will get through it.

15835
Somerville High school

Dear Incoming High School Freshman,

You are now going to embark on a journey that is going to be unexpected. These will be the last four years of your life until you go into the real world. Your high school journey may be different from others, but some challenges will be similar to others like not understanding that complex AP Calculus test or getting into a fight with a friend.

In high school, you will start to realize that not everyone is perfect. I went into high school thinking that my challenges were bigger than others and that no one understood. Throughout the years, I’ve met people whose challenges were much bigger than mine and put mine into perspective. As much as you may think high school is like what they show in movies, it's not. A lot of people have this misconception that high school is supposed to be the best experience of their life, and although it may be for some, the chances are slim. For me, it wasn’t the most amazing experience but there were many moments that I will cherish forever.

High school is going to be a great experience but it may also suck at times. Teachers are going to grill you with work but their intentions are good; they want to be able to help their students succeed and see them grow both as scholars and people. You may think some teachers will hate you but that's their way of showing how much they care about you. You are not going to understand everything that they teach you but their job is to help you learn so do not be afraid to ask for help. You may get into drama with your friends that will seem like the end of the world but really a day later you guys will make up. You may not find your crowd as quickly as others and that's OK. I didn't find my good groups of friends until senior year.

One of the many things that I can tell you is that joining clubs is a must! I can not stress this enough because it is so important to become a part of these groups. The staff at your school may tell you that you should join clubs because it looks good on your resume for college. Although this is a good reason, you shouldn't join clubs solely for this reason but join to meet new people and see what your interests are. The experiences you will gain and the memories you will collect will be limitless. Every aspect of being a club member will be beneficial to you as a person and as a student.

Lastly, I hope that high school treats you well. It's going to be a bumpy experience but there will be moments that will happen to you that will be amazing. Cherish those times and make the most of it in high school. After all, those four years will go by so quickly that you won't even remember those bumps. I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you show your fellow peers of awesome you are.

Sincerely,

Caroline Masia (A high school senior about to graduate)