A Letter To The Overwhelmed College Student

It's okay to breakdown every so often
4762

At every start of a new school year, I always tell myself, “this is the year where I’ll always focus in class, do my homework and projects right away, and get a ton of sleep!) and I always have the intentions of doing so, but then life happens.

Like the typical student I have a loads of work to do at all times. Sometimes I have to push off work for one class to do my work for another class and then before I know it I’m drowning in work for 5 different classes.

It’s not that I particularly enjoy feeling like my world is crumbling because I only have 2 hours to finish a 3 day project, but it seems to happen every single time because sometimes it feels like there aren’t enough hours in the day as a student.

Let me explain... If you’re in college or already finished college, you don’t need me to tell you that it’s hard. From being a full time student, to having a part time job, to trying to balance a social life, it gets hard to juggle everything. We feel like we need to be perfect and should be able to handle 18 credits and still be successful at everything else we do. However, we aren’t perfect.

Here’s the thing: it’s okay to trip up sometimes. I know that sounds like such a crappy excuse to not try hard, but I’m really just saying that it’s okay to get overwhelmed.

It’s also okay to cry because you need to let out the frustration of being overloaded with classwork. It’s okay to miss a class (once or twice a semester) to make up work for another class. It’s okay to take a nap or watch an episode on netflix because looking at the amount of work you have to get done physically makes you feel sick. It’s okay to take an hour of your time to go to the gym to workout. It’s okay to go across the hall to a friends room to vent about your professors and how much you hate your 8am. It’s okay to do something that will help you get your frustrations out.

While the rest of the world is always telling you to be tough and to always charge through life, I’m telling you that it’s okay to break down every so often.

You aren’t alone either. There are hundreds, probably even thousands, of other students across the world or even in your school that are feeling like they can’t get through this week either.

It’s okay to get overwhelmed and breakdown for a little while, but don’t let your breakdown be permanent.

Whether you’re a first year, a senior, or anything in between, you’ve made it this far. I can assure you that others have tried and haven’t gotten as far as you are today. You can keep going. It may be hard, but you have to keep reminding yourself that one day when you’re a doctor, an engineer, a teacher, a therapist,or a CEO you’ll look back and realize that every late night, every tear, every stressful study session, every single second was worth it.

You’re smart enough, you’re talented enough, you’re bright enough, you’re strong enough, you are enough. So when you’re feeling overwhelmed, acknowledge it, but then remember who you are, pick yourself up, and keep going.