To the Semester at Sea Alumni,
You did it. You actually did it.
That trip, that adventure you had dreamed about day and night, the one you worried was out of your reach, the thing you feared would forever remain a dream and never surface to reality... it is finished. You just completed a Semester at Sea.
You said goodbye to everything you’ve ever known, everything you’ve ever loved, for 100 days in the pursuit of things you knew nothing about. You traded life on land for life at sea. You survived storms and swells, maybe even a tornado. You overcame seasickness and homesickness, a lethal combination. You fought language barriers and comfort zones. You battled exchange rates and road maps.
And it was all worth it, because you now have set foot onto four of the world’s seven continents. You have been to 10 countries outside of your own.
You have seen over 20 foreign cities.
You experienced things you didn’t even know were possible, saw things you didn’t know existed, and fulfilled dreams you hadn’t even had the chance to dream yet.
You traveled by plane, boat, dingy, cab, car, ferry, train, tube, bus, van, cable car, kayak, dune buggy, camel back, horse back, and your very own feet over thousands and thousands of miles to get to where you are now, and more importantly, to grow into who you are now.
You are more confident than you have ever been before.
Your strength and independence are flourishing.
You became a traveler, a writer, and a photographer.
You became an inspiration, a motivation.You have proven not only to yourself but to everyone watching that you can do absolutely anything you wish, anything you set your mind to. From here on out, nothing is impossible for you.
You did it.
So now what?
The world is yours...well some of it. Numerically, you still have only seen about 5 percent of the world. Don’t you dare waste the remaining 95 percent.
If being home gets tough and the real world can’t keep your attention, combat boredom by planning the next big thing. Always have a new adventure on deck.
Stay curious. Stay imaginative. Keep your wonder. Never stop moving. Never get too comfortable. Never stop learning. Never lose hope.
And finally, never forget this trip. The places, people, moments. Sights, smells tastes.
Remember to say yes to everything, and I mean everything.
Remember to talk, ask questions, but don’t take no for an answer.
Remember to maintain control.
Remember that fear is just an illusion and all pain is temporary.
Remember that true beauty doesn’t ask for attention yet always receives it.
Remember to have minimal expectations; the less you expect from life the sweeter it will be.
Remember that experiencing a place is not seeing the sites; it’s nothing a tour guide can show you. It’s the people, the food, the uncharted roads, the music, the nature.
Remember to take risks; life is too short for comfort and security.
Remember your strength, your capability.
Remember who goes before you and beside you; you are never alone.
Remember how rich life can be and strive to feel that quench every single day.
Remember who you are and who you will be from here on out.
Because of this trip, because of who you’ve become, nothing is too much, too hard, or too far.
So go on, take the world.