A Letter From an Introvert

A Letter From an Introvert

We are amazing

522
A Letter From an Introvert
introvertspring.com

Dear Extroverts,

Honestly, I envy you. Sometimes. Because sometimes I wish that I was a beautiful social butterfly with big, gorgeous purple wings. But most days I can't. Because I'm an introvert. I know how to be social, and I have extrovert moments, but mostly, my life consists of me being by myself—it suits my personality and creative process more.

Growing up, I was an only child, and being an only child, you learn how to do things on your own. I'm that weird only child that figured out how to play card and board games by themselves. I still do it to this day, and my mom is still baffled at how I do it. The key is acting like you don't know what everybody has in their hand even though you do. You have to act like another person.

But anyways, I'm an introvert who knows how to be social, so don't get the idea that I'm antisocial and somewhat psycho because I do things that you're supposed to do with other people by yourself. I have friends. But I don't hang out with them all the time. Matter of fact, if we don't live in the same dorm, have the same class or involved in the same activities, I don't see people until the weekend. It's not like I'm busy, I just like the space. Plus people kind of get on my nerves after a while, and I need alone time to recharge and do the things I like to do to.

I like to do "boring" things. I like to read, write, analyze films, draw, paint and sit around and think. But oddly enough, even though I love to be by myself and do these "boring" things, I love to talk—a lot. I think it's because I spend so much time with myself. After a while, I make the decision to hang with people, and then I can talk their ears off until they hate me. And that's the usual cycle.

But, I just want people to know a few things.

1. If you see me sitting by myself somewhere or just walking by myself, don't assume that I'm lonely. Don't assume that I'm sad that I am by myself. Most times when I am by myself in public, I'm either thinking or writing about something, and approaching me only interrupts my thoughts.

2. Introverted does not mean shy. I REPEAT. Introverted does not mean shy. Introverts just like to be by themselves at certain moments, and whenever they feel like being around people and socializing, they will.

3. Do not push me to make friends. I believe in the quality of friends, not quantity. I make friends when I make the decision to do so.

4. Allow me to observe and analyze my surroundings. Many people think that I'm quiet when they first meet me, it's not because I'm shy, because I'm definitely not, I just need to adjust to where I am and who I'm with.

3. Respect us. I cannot tell you how many times in my life I have encountered people who think the way I live is boring. I am the way I am, and I don't mind. People might think I'm boring or other introverts are boring because we don't like to be the center of attention or always love being around people. And if you think that the extrovert personality type is the only way to be, honestly fuck you. Not only are you wrong, but ignorant and inconsiderate. So respect us and our boundaries as we do to you.

The last thing I will leave you with is a clear definition as to what an introvert is:

Introverts are drained by social encounters and energized by solitary, often creative pursuits. Their disposition is frequently misconstrued as shyness, social phobia or even avoidant personality disorder, but many introverts socialize easily; they just strongly prefer not to.