A Letter from a College Dorm

A Letter from a College Dorm

An Homage to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "Letter From a Birmingham Jail"

11
A Letter from a College Dorm
American Heart Association

Dear President Trump,

Congrats on being inaugurated. I genuinely wish you well. Please don't screw up. Ask for help when you need it. Don't let others tell you what to do. Do what you want to benefit all, and not just the 'white man.' Despite what you said on the campaign trail 'The American Dream' isn't dead. As a country we may be divided, but were still dreaming. We still want. We still strive to do our best everyday.

I go to a small Catholic Franciscan college. There are many different types of people who go here. Some are local and some aren’t. We still want an education. If the ‘America Dream’ was dead, then we wouldn’t want an education. An education leads to dreams being realized. We come here because we want to make the world a better place. Making the world a better place is what the ‘American Dream’ is all about. Not just the USA will be made better.

I encourage you to curb your tongue. It’s not helping you with those that don’t support you. Its making you look like you are a loose cannon that doesn’t understand the consequences that occur when you don’t listen and just speak from your “heart.” Speaking from the heart can be a good thing, but when you do it its wrong. You speak from the heart about fake news being bad, but you campaigned on fake news. The National Enquirer isn’t a real news source. It’s not like ‘CNN’. They are a real news source as is ‘Fox News’, ‘MSNBC’, and others. Just because they write or speak about you in a poor light doesn’t mean that it’s up to you to discredit them.

Don’t go on Twitter at 3 am to attack people. It’s a good tool to get your opinion out, but not a tool to use to complain. You attacked Meryl Streep saying that she’s “overrated”. She didn’t even say your name! There are those whose names aren’t mentioned that need to be stated. They matter just as much as you do. Get your sleep. It’s necessary. You’ll need to be able to remember important information as being president. For example, you’re elected for four years, and not eight. You only get eight if you’re reelected. Hopefully you’re reelected by the people and not the ‘white man.’

A good quote to know is from Malala Yousafzai, which is “I raise up my voice not so I can shout, but is that those without a voice can be heard. We cannot succeed when half of us is held back.” The first part of the quote is about raising one’s voice. It’s being raised so that others can hear them, not to make their voice the only voice. The other voice needs to be heard. You were against the protests after you were elected on the 8th of November. you said for us to accept the results and move on. Your supporters would never do this. Ha! I shall remind all your supporters who say that they didn’t riot or protest after Obama was elected they did in fact protest and riot. The second part of the quote is about “half of us is held back.” Currently about half of our country is feeling held back by your supposed ideals. The half that is feeling held back didn't want you as their president. Sadly, we are stuck with you for the next four years regardless of opinions. So as stated before good or bad I genuinely wish you well.

Sincerely,

A concerned female who doesn’t want her female parts to be grabbed at.