A Letter To A Friend That Is Leaving For College

A temporary goodbye to all my friends going away for college.

19223
Katie Schroeder

Dear Friend,

Well this is it. I don't know who I will miss more, you or your dog! I'm kidding, I'll obviously miss you more! Our long care free summer has come to an end and now you are off to start life on your own. It feels like just yesterday we were talking about how scared we were to start high school and now here we are. Not only will you not have your family to come home to everyday after a long day of classes but you won't be able to wake up every morning and make plans for us to do. With that being said, I also want you to know I'm only a phone call away. Whether you just miss hearing my entertaining and sometimes annoying stories about what's going on in my life or that you just need someone to listen to you vent about boys or professors I will always be available. I already know you're smart, but it doesn't hurt to mention to you, to remember there is a fine line between having fun and being safe while living the full college experience. I know you are nervous but I also know you will be so successful in everything you do while away at school both academically and socially. Then there is me, I'm not going to take this moment to be all dramatic, and tell you how I don't know how I'm going to survive without you only living less than a mile away, but I will tell you it won't be easy for me! Who am I going to call to go get ice cream with? Who am I going to go on random adventures with? Who is going to tell me I need to be more organized when my room and life is a mess? You were always my go to when I needed a person or an answer to any and all of those questions. All these years we have been together and now all of a sudden you are leaving. From middle school to high school we have practically supported and watched each other grow into the strong, determined, and outgoing women we are today. Don't be sad and don't worry about me because, as sad as I am to see you go, I'm even more excited to see where this journey is going to lead you. We are beginning our adult lives at different schools but this town and our friendship is home. I know no matter where we go, both you and I will always find our way back here. Of course, you won't only see me when you come home from school on holidays and weekends. I'll be up to visit as much as I can. Hope your room mate is prepared for that! So I'll leave you with something that is hardly a request, keep in touch! A text a day to both your friend, and of course your mother, is all I'm asking to know you're still alive. I am going to miss you more than you will know!

Love, your friend that will never be too far away.