To My Best Friend Who Didn't Deserve What He Did To You

He took you for granted, and it will be the biggest mistake he ever makes.

483

Everyone hears it, and everyone says it after a breakup. "You deserve better." It cannot be more true with you, my best friend, and whose happiness means more to me than you realize. You've cried more in the past week than I've ever seen, and even though I know the tears help you heal, I need you to stop. I need you to realize that he is not worth crying over.

Maybe you're thinking it must have been you. Maybe you could have done something better, or you wish you had seen the signs and prevented this. I need you to know that this is no one's fault but his. He had a woman in front of him that was sunshine on two legs. A girl who brightens everyone's day just by walking into a room.

A woman who is a beautiful flower, who started to wilt. You kept hoping for a good rain to make you bloom into everything you could be. You wished and prayed, but flowers are weird things. They need just the right amount of nourishment and care to stand up straight.

You weren't being cared for how you needed and deserved, but I know you will bloom again.

For me, you have always been an awe-inspiring human. But because of this, I know you are struggling to see it in yourself. I need you to know that I will be here for you every step of the way, and until that new person comes into your life, I'll be here for the crying. I'll be here for the laughing that is trying to cover the feeling of your heart feeling lower than an anchor. I will be here to remind you that I am excited to see you happier with the person you were meant to be with all along.

Those girls weren't better than you. They weren't smarter. They were only proof that a guy who doesn't understand commitment doesn't deserve to be with a woman who any man would give an arm and a leg to be with. I always prayed he realized it before he was too late. Did he realize how many people you fought off?

Does he realize that any time you thought of the man you wanted to marry, you thought of him? I pictured myself crying at your wedding and I still will. I want you to be with someone who is ready to have their world taken by storm. A storm that doesn't destroy, but instead shows the world they aren't to be taken for granted. You aren't easy to handle, but you are more than worth it.

You are a goddess, but you're going to be so much more. You are going to look back on this and realize this was a blessing. You are going to remember that those who have a diamond, and don't protect it, are going to have it stolen. I know he will regret it for a very, very long time; if not the rest of his life.

Until then, I'll watch Friends with you and pretend I like it. I'll force you to watch Star Wars while we eat sushi takeout. I'll try to simmer the anger I have for the guy who wronged you and hopes that he learns from his mistake. As much as it was drilled into your head, you are never to blame, and you did nothing to deserve this.

Don't ever let him make you feel guilty for his mistake. Don't make it easier for him to look in the mirror. You are the one who walked away with a lighter conscience, if not a broken soul. Souls can be healed and yours is unlike anything that anyone is ready for.

To finish, don't ever forget who you are. Don't forget what makes you happy, and never settle for anything less, ever again. Be the loudest voice, and don't let anyone dim your fiery spirit. Don't ever turn that light out for fear of blinding someone. The one who is still out there will be prepared and will feel like they've lived their whole life in darkness until they met you. Wait for it, and you will see what I mean.

One day you will forgive him. One day you will smile without feeling like the world's most talented actress. It will be true, and it won't have strings attached.

You have no idea how strong you are. You have no idea how much you inspire me and you have no idea how much your friendship has meant to me. You're not only that but my family. I'm thankful to call you my sister.

And yes, I borrowed your sweater again.