An Open Letter To My Family As I Go To Study Abroad

This Is What I Want My Family To Know As I Leave The Country

You make me whole

103
Alexis Burnett

To my dear Family,

This is tough. It's a tough thing to say "goodbye for now," but let me emphasize that it is just "for now." It may seem like forever, but I will always come back to my family. Without you all supporting me, there would be no me. I would not be able to even dream of studying abroad doing the thing that I love most if it wasn't for your love and support.

It seems impersonal to address you all as a whole, so I leave you each a message below.

To my dad,

Lane Burnett

From the beginning, you were there for our family and you always will be. You are Emily and I's constant in a world that never stops changing. Your strength and support have taught us what it means to persevere and to work hard, even when it feels like the whole world is pushing back against you. Over the years, you have shown me what that looks like in practice. You are the central pillar of our family, and I want to thank you for everything you do for us, for providing for us and taking us on adventures. I will miss your warm hugs and laughter so much, but I will be back for you.

To my mom,

Alexis Burnett

Even though I don't understand it myself, there is nothing quite like the love that a mother has for her child. You have shown that love from the first moment of my life to the present, and you have taught me what it means to love and care about someone else unconditionally. You also have shown me what really matters in this life. It isn't about material things; it's about experiencing life with people you love. Though you were the most hesitant to accept me studying abroad, to say the least, you have shown that unconditional love and strength by doing what you can to support and love me anyway. You and Dad have always done what you could to provide a home for Emily and I, and I will never forget it. I will miss you so much, but I will be back for you.

To my sister,

Emily Burnett

You are the most clever, talented, and kind person I know, and I am so proud of who you have become, proud to call you my sister and best friend. By watching you grow up, I have learned how to be more compassionate and how to make peace. I will miss nights spent watching Netflix, doing our makeup, and impromptu dance parties, as wells as days spent in Starbucks doing homework and going shopping. I will also dearly miss being together on Halloween, our favorite holiday. As you go to college and pursue your dreams, I hope I have demonstrated that against oneself and against the odds, you can do what you dream of doing, and you should never ever refrain from it out of doubt or out of fear. You do not always have to be strong, but you should always be dreaming. I am an Instagram DM, Discord message, or phone call away, so you better talk to me sometimes because I will be back and I will sass you about it.

To my cat,

Alexis Burnett

I know you can't read this, but maybe it will help my family better understand how much you mean to me so that they will know how to look after you while I'm away. You have been my friend since I was 9 years old, always laying on me before I went to sleep, always coming to me when I cried, and providing constant comfort and joy when I had so little of either. Thank you for being my fur-baby for all this time. I will be back for you.

Thank you for believing in me. I love you all. You make me whole.