An Open Letter To My Friends From High School

The most painful goodbyes are the ones that were never said.

14
Pexels.com

Dear Friends From High School,

We just spent the last four years together. Six classes a day, five days a week, four years of high school. I still think it's insane to say we are all in our own different worlds at each of our new colleges.

Seeing you guys everyday was the best thing, and definitely easy to do. Our big group of friends meant the world to me, and you all were like my second family. You guys made class every day something to look forward to. The pep rallies, student programs, and class meetings they made us sit through were always something to get through with you all with me. Friday night football games were loud and exciting with all of us standing in the student section. And when the day was over, meeting up at one of our houses just to sit and watch movies for hours and snack of food like we would never eat again was always my favorite way to end the day.

But graduation was six months ago. And we all moved into our dorms, new houses, or started a new chapter in our lives. We all said nothing would change and we would all get together over break and see each other on weekends we each came home throughout the semester. There were plans we made to go out as one big group, to get everyone together again to catch up on everything we've missed.

Unfortunately, a lot of things change in just a few months. More things than expected.

It's great to know all of us are having fun doing whatever we wanted to do after high school. I love watching you guys on snapchat at your parties, studying in the library, or driving around our home town for those of you that stayed there. It's always an amazing thing to know everyone is happy where they went and enjoying their out of high school lives. And the occasional texts to each other saying "I miss you" or "How are you?" are always a great thing to open my phone to.

What's upsetting is we send each other these texts, but nothing comes out of them. Don't get me wrong, we all have a ton of people we want to catch up with when we come home for breaks and weekends and want to see everyone. But the plans we made early in the semester were something I looked forward to, and for none of them to actually work out breaks my heart.

I did see a few of you over break, at least for a few hours and I'm glad I did. It was great to hear how you all were doing and what you've been up to. And for those of you that I didn't see, or only saw once and didn't get to say goodbye, I hope everything is going well for you, too.

I'm sorry we aren't close anymore. So much has changed in these past few months. You would think that once graduation hit, we would all want to spend a ton of time together over the summer and every time we were home at the same time. It's hard for all of us to get together. I still love you guys all and miss you like crazy, but I'm just happy that you guys are all happy with where you are.

High school was hands down a million times more tolerable with you guys by my side. I know I couldn't have done it without you guys.