A Letter To My Best Friend On Her 18th Birthday

"That was what a best friend did: hold up a mirror and show you your heart." - Kristin Hannah

40007
Cathi Weinhofer

Dear Best Friend,

Happy 18th birthday! Hard to believe that you are actually 18, because it's so easy for me to remember when we were 12 and 13, taking selfies with our iPod's, and thinking it was the coolest thing ever to stay up all night.

18 has been hands down the most interesting year for me, in terms of lessons learned, and new experiences that I can check off my bucket list. If there was only one thing I could do for you on your 18th birthday, it would be to share with you some of my lessons.

One of the first things I learned as I started my 18th year was to stay humble. This might seem like a weird first lesson to you but I thought it was important. You're one of the most intelligent and best people I know, but try not to let it get to your head. College is different than high school.

Next is to always embrace your mistakes. You're gonna make them. A lot of them. I do it all the time. Learn from them, grow with them and move past them. You are not the mistakes you have made, and they do not define you.

Loving your support group has always been so incredibly important to me, and to you as well. You have always been so close with your family and it is one of the things I admire most about you. Love them! Don't ever forget about them because they will support you in everything you do, as will your friends.

College will beat the hell out of you. I'm not gonna lie, you're probably gonna have a lot of sleepless nights and sick days because you will have 47 tests and 16 papers all due in 3 days. It's all just means to and end. Work hard for your success.

Another important thing I have learned is it's never too late to do what you wanna do. If you're half way through your sophomore year and you think to yourself, "Damn, I don't wanna major in this anymore.", change it. I've changed my major 3 times already and I'm even considering a 4th. It's never to late. You deserve to be happy, and doing what you want life will get you there.

The last thing I can tell you to make sure you remember as you embark on this new year of your life to embrace the change. This year alone you will graduate high school, start college, make new friends, leave behind old ones, and start the beginning to the rest of your life. Let it happen, and embrace it. It will be wonderful and it will be eye opening.

In case you didn't already know, I'm so proud of you in everything you have accomplished this far, and I cannot wait to see what else you accomplish in the future. Make your 18th year unforgettable and your best year yet.

I love you always,

Laura