A Letter to My Athlete Brother

A Letter to My Athlete Brother

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

740
A Letter to My Athlete Brother
Bethany Eggleston

My dearest brother,

First, I would like to tell you how incredibly proud I am of your talent and hard work. I've been watching you grow in your athletic ability since you were 4 years old, and what an amazing journey it's been. I'm not just one of those sisters that would tell you you're an incredible athlete and not really mean it. You are an incredible athlete. Every sport I've had the pleasure of watching you play you excel at. It's not just your size, but you're hard work and talent that have gotten you where you are today.

Second, I can't wait to see you play next season. Each new season is a new opportunity to show everyone your talent, and I'm excited for you. That being said, it does give me a little anxiety watching you play. Like any sister, I never want anything bad to happen to you. Ever. When you were little it was always "Oh he's fine, he'll get up." Little kids tackling each other rarely turned into a serious injury. Now it's "Oh my gosh is this serious?" Every injury seems like something to worry about. I'm not saying this to scare you, I'm just telling you where I'm coming from. Sometimes I can't handle the emotions that come with watching you play. I never want you to get hurt, and I never want you to be disappointed in yourself if you don't like the outcome.

Now I know that there is a lot of pressure on you these days. You have come to the point in your athletic "career" where things are getting serious. Kids your age are starting to get college offers. I'm here to tell you that no matter what you decide to do, play in college, don't play in college, whatever, I am here to support your decisions. Just know that you have the talent to do whatever you want. When things get busy and you're feeling all the pressure, just remember that you are good enough. You have the talent, and you are plenty capable of putting in the hard work. You can do whatever you put your mind to, and we all believe in you.

Finally, I want you to know that your family will always be there rooting for you. When the day comes (very far in the future, likes decades down the road I'm sure) that you decide to stop playing, we will be there supporting you on your next great journey. You are an amazing athlete 100 percent. But you are an amazing person beyond your talent. Like I said, you can do anything you put your mind to, athletic or not. And I can't wait to see what you do.

With all the love and support in the world,

Your sister