Let's Talk About Sex: Of The Youth

Let's Talk About Sex: Of The Youth

Babies are having babies!

16
Let's Talk About Sex: Of The Youth
Huffington Post

Sex is a three letter word that can make everyone in the room go silent. But why? it is totally natural. Sex is the very reason you and I and the entire population of our species continues to exist. Yet, sex is something that continues to make people uncomfortable...but only to talk about. EVERYONE is doing it and I mean everyone. The reality of American sex in 2016 is that kids are having it, education is not covering it and we're all doing it but not talking about it. So here is the problem, fifteen year olds should not be having sex, right? But when they go to school, no one really says " Hey, use a condom and go to the doctor, be open and honest and be safe" they more or less say,

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F08%2F30%2F636081190093732530699399429_sex.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=408&h=cfb27c1cecc301a7bd3cb1c8bd7041b47c60a36a60e13b8ecc367b1ace08d1ab&size=980x&c=918727137 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F08%252F30%252F636081190093732530699399429_sex.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D408%26h%3Dcfb27c1cecc301a7bd3cb1c8bd7041b47c60a36a60e13b8ecc367b1ace08d1ab%26size%3D980x%26c%3D918727137%22%7D" expand=1]

So now you have a handful of young teenagers who have all of these curiosities and emotions and feelings bursting out of them, and all they really know is not to have sex because they're too young and it is bad.

Eating candy late is bad, sitting close to the T.V. is bad...but we know that they do it! and when did telling a kid that they are too young for something ever stop them?!

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think we should all be blabbing about our scandalous sex from last night but maybe we should be open and honest and share with our youth the reality. After-all, if they are going to have sex regardless, wouldn't we rather them be safe, protected and smart about it? Or I guess if you don't like that route they can get pregnant and you can just throw them on MTV and make them famous since that seems to be one of the American things to do.

Please, no one take this too seriously, it is just something to think about. We try our best to instill fear into teenagers so that they don't have sex, but the reality of it is that they are going to try things and they are going to eventually have sex. Maybe instead of trying to scare them we should try to teach them. This way, when the time comes we won't continue to fund "16 and Pregnant" or "Teen Mom" and we can keep them educated.

I can say for myself that I did not have sex at too young of an age, but I can tell you that when I was in the 8th grade there was an open discussion to move the sex-ed program from freshman year down to the sixth grade. So again, something to think about. This is not a plea or a shove on the education system. It is a randomly composed piece typed up at 10 pm on a Monday night because it passed through my mind when I saw that about 250,000 babies born in 2014 were to mothers between the ages of fifteen and nineteen. Wow, that is a problem. Then I saw that 80% of HIV victims in America are males between the ages of thirteen and nineteen.

Let's not deny that younger generations are having sex earlier than us, because they are. Let's also not deny that they are doing it unprotected and are taking major risks, because they are.